Re: OK, Dennis, calm down... / Goes for Anders too...

2005-06-15 05:42:04 PM
delphi116
Dennis,
I'm sorry for my outburst, can only be excused by my having a cold and
fever the last five days.
I still had great fun during the weekend playing with Delphi, optimizing
IntToStr, communicating with other programmers, and we *did* find some
interesting differences between Delphi versions.
Then comes Dennis and 'dislikes' almost everything we have done during
the weekend (at least it feels like that), and talks 'bad' about D5 (my
precious!).
Once again, sorry Dennis!
BTW: I still believe there are *a lot* of D5 programmers active around
the world, and it is certainly not only for playing. I earn my daily
bread by using D5 at work, and for us, there's no (obvious) gain in
updating.
(Back at desk, but still coughing)
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re: OK, Dennis, calm down... / Goes for Anders too...

BTW: I still believe there are *a lot* of D5 programmers active around
the world, and it is certainly not only for playing. I earn my daily
bread by using D5 at work, and for us, there's no (obvious) gain in
updating.

(Back at desk, but still coughing)
I'm sure there are. D5 is a very fast and stable IDE, so I can understand
everyone that do not want to update the IDE yet. Let's hope they give
quality and speed first priority on D2006. Then maybe the remaining D5 users
will upgrade too.
-Atle

Re: OK, Dennis, calm down... / Goes for Anders too...

Hi Anders
No problem :-)
Regards
Dennis

Re: OK, Dennis, calm down... / Goes for Anders too...

"Anders Isaksson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

BTW: I still believe there are *a lot* of D5 programmers active around
the world, and it is certainly not only for playing. I earn my daily
bread by using D5 at work, and for us, there's no (obvious) gain in
updating.

I use D5 every day at work, even though I am staring at boxes of Delphi 6 and Delphi 7 on
the shelf in front of me. We upgraded, but the hassle of transferring our
codebase and all third party libraries etc. didn't make sense. Apart from a
few speed issues, D5 as been a workhorse for us.
In my own company, I also use D5 for development, although I have just set up
a {*word*269} Athlon 64 system with D2005 and plan eventually to convert my app
to that. However, that could take a year at this rate, as i have clients to
keep happy with the D5 version. Any D5 speedup i can get during that year
will be very well received.
Regards
Dave White

Re: OK, Dennis, calm down... / Goes for Anders too...

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:42:04 +0200, Anders Isaksson
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I earn my daily
bread by using D5 at work, and for us, there's no (obvious) gain in
updating.
Me too!
Just to help convince Dennis that supporting D5 when possible is good
thing.
ain

Re: OK, Dennis, calm down... / Goes for Anders too...

Hi All
I hear you.
Regards
Dennis

Re: OK, Dennis, calm down... / Goes for Anders too...

Hi Dave White
I use D5 every day at work, even though I am staring at boxes of Delphi 6 and D7
on
the shelf in front of me. We upgraded, but the hassle of transferring our
codebase and all third party libraries etc. didn't make sense. Apart from
Which problems do you have when going from D5 to Delphi 6 and from Delphi 6 to D7?
I have very few problems with my small applications. Normally I can compile
in which Delphi I want.
Regards
Dennis

Re: OK, Dennis, calm down... / Goes for Anders too...

"Dennis" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Which problems do you have when going from D5 to Delphi 6 and from Delphi 6 to D7?

I have no problems with Delphi, but we use a lot of third party components,
some without sources, some very expensive (over $1,000 per user), so the
expense of upgrading all of the components, along with the hassle of
re-installing and re-validating everything just doesn't seem worthwhile for
the 'extra' features that Delphi 6 or Delphi 7 give us over D5.
Regards
Dave White

Re: OK, Dennis, calm down... / Goes for Anders too...

I use D5 every day at work, even though I am staring at boxes of Delphi 6 and D7
on
the shelf in front of me. We upgraded, but the hassle of transferring our
codebase and all third party libraries etc. didn't make sense. Apart from
few speed issues, D5 as been a workhorse for us.

In my own company, I also use D5 for development, although I have just set
up
a {*word*269} Athlon 64 system with D2005 and plan eventually to convert my app
to that. However, that could take a year at this rate, as i have clients
keep happy with the D5 version. Any D5 speedup i can get during that year
will be very well received.
Actually, once you know the few changes there are when upgrading, it is very
fast to do. I converted all our third party libraries and all products we
have in a few days. Then you just go through the test phase, and you are
good to go.
There are two important changes when converting.
1. Packages must be split into designtime and runtime packages. All unit's
containing designtime units must be placed in the designtime package and
that package must include the designide package.
2. All use of variants are moved into the variants unit. So this unit have
to be placed inside uses wherever you use any function it contains or the
NULL value.
BDE still works like a charm on D7, if you are unlucky enough to still use
that.
Quickreport is still there for backward compatibility, but not visible, so
all quickreport projects should work also. Still I recommend everyone that
use quickreport to move to fastreport instead.
-Atle

Re: OK, Dennis, calm down... / Goes for Anders too...

There are two important changes when converting.
Worst troubles for us actually came from changes/bugs introduced in the
D7 thread handling mechanism (TThread behaviours), were solved by not
using D7's TThread but a custom one derived from D5's TThread.
Eric

Re: OK, Dennis, calm down... / Goes for Anders too...

Hi Eric Grange
Worst troubles for us actually came from changes/bugs introduced in the
D7 thread handling mechanism (TThread behaviours), were solved by not
using D7's TThread but a custom one derived from D5's TThread.
That one caused me a lot of grief too.
Regards
Dennis

Re: OK, Dennis, calm down... / Goes for Anders too...

What bug are we talking about here?
-Atle

Re: OK, Dennis, calm down... / Goes for Anders too...

What bug are we talking about here?
Haven't looked back ever since, so I don't remember exactly (was a few
years ago now), but it involved WaitFor, FreeOnTerminate and
Suspend/Resume stuff IIRC, and there may have been something with the
way Synchronize was changed too (not sure about this one, I may be
mixing up with something else).
Eric

Re: OK, Dennis, calm down... / Goes for Anders too...

>What bug are we talking about here?

Haven't looked back ever since, so I don't remember exactly (was a few
years ago now), but it involved WaitFor, FreeOnTerminate and
Suspend/Resume stuff IIRC, and there may have been something with the way
Synchronize was changed too (not sure about this one, I may be mixing up
with something else).
Ok. I don't have any problems with my threads. But I always stay away from
synchronize, so maybe it is connected to that.

Eric Grange writes:
Haven't looked back ever since, so I don't remember exactly (was a
few years ago now), but it involved WaitFor, FreeOnTerminate and
Suspend/Resume stuff IIRC, and there may have been something with the
way Synchronize was changed too (not sure about this one, I may be
mixing up with something else).

Eric
If you have "fully compiling, don't have to think about anything" test
case, I would be happy to try it in Delphi 2005. Just to make sure it's
fixed.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee