Re: The new Product Manager and a native 64-bit compiler

2006-06-15 10:48:05 PM
delphi70
Brian Moelk writes:
>And agenda is an agenda. I would like to hear from Nick directly on his
>views concerning a 64-bit Native Compiler.

Then send him a private email; ask him if Win64 is still part of the
future plans.

>Brian, although I value your opinion highly,

Likewise.

>its not your opinion I'm
>asking for just at the moment...

Sure, but if you don't want the all the crazies opinions, then why post
it to the NG's at all? ;)

>I would like to hear from Nick on this issue directly. He doesn't have
>to do it here. A blog posting would work just as well.

Then why not ask directly?

I just did. You seem to have a problem with me asking the question
publicly. I don't see why that is a problem, since the issue affect
thousands of developers, not just me. I expect a public answer not a
private answer. The two modes, private and public, shouldn't affect the
answer to the question.
-d

Re: The new Product Manager and a native 64-bit compiler

Road maps can change.
But blogs can change much more easily :-)

Re: The new Product Manager and a native 64-bit compiler

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:43:29 -0400, Dennis Landi
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

I am asking him directly to address this issue; and, hopefully allay my
fears.

I don't believe any 'forward looking' statement from *anyone* will
allay your fears. You can take that as a compliment.
-ckd
ps: A fearful thought that could be the basis or a geeky horror
flick... a cubicle farm of evil carnies all typing away at bds.net ;)

David Farrell-Garcia writes:
Dennis Landi writes:

>Road maps can change. A new Delphi Product Manager who takes a
>negative stance towards a particular initiative/plan can kill or
>delay that initiative indefinitely.

I disagree that Nick has taken a negative stance on the 64bit issue. I
think we all agree that 64 bit is the furture. What we may disagre
with is how important it is today for the typical Delphi developer
compared to other priorities.
And another way to kill the 64-bit initiative is to make it a low enough
priority...
-d

Dennis Landi writes:
I just did. You seem to have a problem with me asking the question
publicly. I don't see why that is a problem, since the issue affect
thousands of developers, not just me. I expect a public answer not a
private answer. The two modes, private and public, shouldn't affect
the answer to the question.
Why should the question have to be answered right now?
IMO, you shout too loudly, too often and now too soon about this topic.
You are actually being counter-productive.
Nick needs to get his feet under the table and get fully acquainted
with the big picture before starting to consider such details.
--
Mike Orriss

Mike Orriss writes:
Dennis Landi writes:

>I just did. You seem to have a problem with me asking the question
>publicly. I don't see why that is a problem, since the issue affect
>thousands of developers, not just me. I expect a public answer not a
>private answer. The two modes, private and public, shouldn't affect
>the answer to the question.

Why should the question have to be answered right now?

IMO, you shout too loudly, too often and now too soon about this topic.
You are actually being counter-productive.

Nick needs to get his feet under the table and get fully acquainted
with the big picture before starting to consider such details.

I am sorry, but I disagree with you. IMO, Nick is as well-acquainted
with the big picture concerning Delphi as anyone (a great thing, and
probably unprecendented in that position). However, his views on
priorities on what is to be done (in order of priority) will impact the
Delphi Dev Community with every Product Management meeting his attends.
So it may be time for our voices to be heard again.
Here's mine...
-d

Re: The new Product Manager and a native 64-bit compiler

I just did. You seem to have a problem with me asking the question
publicly.
I don't have a "problem" with it, I just think it is a backassward way of
going about it. If I want to get an answer to my question, I am going to
ask the person/group/entity directly. it is just more effective.
I don't see why that is a problem, since the issue affect
thousands of developers, not just me. I expect a public answer not a
private answer.
There's nothing stopping you from getting a private answer, asking for
permission to make it public and then doing so.
I tend to agree with Mike on this...you can not avoid the history wrapped
up in the issue. This includes not only Nick's but yours.
Besides, the current RoadMap clearly indicates that 64-bit is part of
the plan.
The two modes, private and public, shouldn't affect the
answer to the question.
I disagree with that. In my experience, I get very different answers in
public than I do in private.
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Re: The new Product Manager and a native 64-bit compiler

Brian Moelk writes:
No, I don't think it is the right time. Wait until you see the compiler
slip in the schedule or come off the Roadmap, then let your voice be
heard...again.

Nope, by that time, way too much time will have passed, and way too much
time will have been wasted. I will drop all future plans involving Delphi.
One thing is for sure, if the 2008 delivery date for a native 64-bit
compiler should slip at all, I feel sure that Nick will do his best to
communicate that truth to the customer base so that we can make plans
accordingly.
When it comes to Delphi and the Delphi Community, I don't doubt Nick's
integrity at all... However, I am very doubtful Nick's list of
priorities have the 64-bit native compiler anywhere near the top of the
list, and this is precisely what I want to clarify.
-d

Re: The new Product Manager and a native 64-bit compiler

I am sorry, but I disagree with you.
I agree with Mike on this one.
IMO, Nick is as well-acquainted
with the big picture concerning Delphi as anyone (a great thing, and
probably unprecendented in that position). However, his views on
priorities on what is to be done (in order of priority) will impact the
Delphi Dev Community with every Product Management meeting his attends.
Sure I suspect that Nick will have some influence, but I doubt that Nick
is going to completely rework the RoadMap on his second day of
employment. You can not honestly think that Dennis.
So it may be time for our voices to be heard again.
No, I don't think it is the right time. Wait until you see the compiler
slip in the schedule or come off the Roadmap, then let your voice be
heard...again.
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: The new Product Manager and a native 64-bit compiler

Dennis Landi writes:
It is my distinct impression based on many flame wars in this news
group that Nick Hodges, the new Product Manager, is to say the least
not a proponent for a 64-bit native Delphi Compiler.
I think this is not true, and I should know, since I am me. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - DevCo

Dennis Landi writes:
I would like to hear from Nick on this issue directly.
I am a strong poponent of native code development. Always have been.
I'm also a strong proponent of DevCo making tons of money.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - DevCo
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nickblog

Re: The new Product Manager and a native 64-bit compiler

I think this is not true, and I should know, since I am me. ;-)
LOL! :D

Brian Moelk writes:
Sure I suspect that Nick will have some influence, but I doubt that
Nick is going to completely rework the RoadMap on his second day of
employment.
I will say this -- it is early in my tenure here (to say the least :-)
and I am still learning exactly what my job is, but I do know this:
I'm in charge of managing and maintaining the roadmap.
--

Nick Hodges (Borland/DevCo) writes:
Dennis Landi writes:

>It is my distinct impression based on many flame wars in this news
>group that Nick Hodges, the new Product Manager, is to say the least
>not a proponent for a 64-bit native Delphi Compiler.

I think this is not true, and I should know, since I am me. ;-)

That is excellent news Nick. As I said I have gotten a distinctly
different impression from you previous activity on the topic in this
news group.
It would be great if you could expand on your response in your new DevCo
blog.
All the best and congrats on the new position.
By the way, I *did* send you an email. Not sure if you got it.... It
would be great if you would respond, as there are some other topics (not
nearly as contentious) that I would like to discuss (briefly) with you.
I take it your email address follows the convention firstname dot
lastname at borland dot com?
-d

Re: The new Product Manager and a native 64-bit compiler

On 15 Jun 2006 09:32:14 -0700, "Nick Hodges (Borland/DevCo)"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Dennis Landi writes:

>It is my distinct impression based on many flame wars in this news
>group that Nick Hodges, the new Product Manager, is to say the least
>not a proponent for a 64-bit native Delphi Compiler.

I think this is not true, and I should know, since I am me. ;-)

Wow! This is like a positive disturbance in the Force. You can just
FEEL the fears evaporating. Thanks, Nick!
btw, congratulations and good luck :)
-ckd