Re: Rumor is out: Borland laid off 100 of CaliberRM team members

2006-12-13 02:16:44 AM
delphi249
Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) writes:
"They just laid off 100."
Even if it were true, the dev area, aka the purpose of being here is
now under CodeGear and not under the name Borland, so much as yes, its
tragic to be laid off around christmas, and sad anyone loses their job.
However, all our futures are based around a new company.. Lets look to
see what they do, not the former keeper of the products is doing to
something else.
--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

Re: Rumor is out: Borland laid off 100 of CaliberRM team members

"They just laid off 100."
"The whole developer division for CaliberRM just found out the bad news that
we are all laid off. This is after spending nearly a million moving people
from the St. Petersburg office to Atlanta. What a waste. Happy Holidays."
"We in the CaliberRM product group just found out that we all lost our jobs.
They are moving development offshore. Everyone is sad because we delivered
our latest release in record time and this is our reward. "
--
Serguei Dosyukov
DragonSoft - www.dragonsoftru.com/

Re: Rumor is out: Borland laid off 100 of CaliberRM team members

"They just laid off 100."
This is pretty bold news to post with no source. Especially when you put
quotation marks around it but don't attribute the quote.
Will you provide a source?
--Jacob

Re: Rumor is out: Borland laid off 100 of CaliberRM team members

"Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft)" <pooh996.gmail.com>writes
"They just laid off 100."

"The whole developer division for CaliberRM just found out the bad news
that we are all laid off. This is after spending nearly a million moving
people from the St. Petersburg office to Atlanta. What a waste. Happy
Holidays."

"We in the CaliberRM product group just found out that we all lost our
jobs. They are moving development offshore. Everyone is sad because we
delivered our latest release in record time and this is our reward. "

--
Serguei Dosyukov
DragonSoft - www.dragonsoftru.com/
Blog it is - blog.dragonsoftru.com/

Offshore : Like to St. Petersburg (Russia) ;-)

Re: Rumor is out: Borland laid off 100 of CaliberRM team members

"Frans van Daalen"
Offshore : Like to St. Petersburg (Russia) ;-)
Probably more like St. Bangalore.

Re: Rumor is out: Borland laid off 100 of CaliberRM team members

it is a rumor from here
it is quotes, as they are
it could be a speculation or FUD by someone on yahoo board. considering a
seriousness of the topic, I'd doubt that anybody would do such a thing
and, yes, it does not affect CG
messages.finance.yahoo.com/Stocks_%28A_to_Z%29/Stocks_B/threadview

Liz writes:
However, all our futures are based around a new company.. Lets look to
see what they do, not the former keeper of the products is doing to
something else.
For CodeGear's sake, we should hope Borland succeeds as well.
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Re: Rumor is out: Borland laid off 100 of CaliberRM team members

it could be a speculation or FUD by someone on yahoo board. considering a
seriousness of the topic, I'd doubt that anybody would do such a thing
and, yes, it does not affect CG
Well I disagree with that analysis, people will do or say anything for
money. And I find it hard to believe that the CaliberRM team is 100 people.
Oliver Townshend

Re: Rumor is out: Borland laid off 100 of CaliberRM team members

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) writes:
"They just laid off 100."

Is CaliberRM 100 developers? I dont think so...
[]s
Cesar Romero

>"They just laid off 100."
>
>"The whole developer division for CaliberRM just found out the bad news
>that we are all laid off. This is after spending nearly a million moving
>people from the St. Petersburg office to Atlanta. What a waste. Happy
>Holidays."
Have the sales been that poor ?
In any case I cant too much direct relevance to the Codegear division of
Borland, since this is from the ALM section of Borland.
Of course, nay sayers could argue that this is indicative that Borland
may slash Codegear numbers equally severely. After all, outsourcing
Codegear products cant be any harder than outsourcing CaliberRM.

Re: Rumor is out: Borland laid off 100 of CaliberRM team members

"Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft)" <pooh996.gmail.com>writes
"They just laid off 100."

"The whole developer division for CaliberRM just found out the bad news
that we are all laid off. This is after spending nearly a million moving
people from the St. Petersburg office to Atlanta. What a waste. Happy
Holidays."

"We in the CaliberRM product group just found out that we all lost our
jobs. They are moving development offshore. Everyone is sad because we
delivered our latest release in record time and this is our reward. "

Its funny. Caliber is a product I really think I could have written by
myself. Say, the core 80% of the product. There are some hairy-fairy parts
of it driven by academics that I never saw a use for...
Wow, I really have to wonder. 100 person team for Caliber???? Meanwhile,
how many developers are working on Delphi?
20? 30?
sheesh.
-d

Re: Rumor is out: Borland laid off 100 of CaliberRM team members

"Dennis Landi" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

"Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft)" <pooh996.gmail.com>writes
>"They just laid off 100."
>
>"The whole developer division for CaliberRM just found out the bad news
>that we are all laid off. This is after spending nearly a million moving
>people from the St. Petersburg office to Atlanta. What a waste. Happy
>Holidays."
>
>"We in the CaliberRM product group just found out that we all lost our
>jobs. They are moving development offshore. Everyone is sad because we
>delivered our latest release in record time and this is our reward. "

Its funny. Caliber is a product I really think I could have written by
myself. Say, the core 80% of the product. There are some hairy-fairy
parts of it driven by academics that I never saw a use for...

Wow, I really have to wonder. 100 person team for Caliber???? Meanwhile,
how many developers are working on Delphi?
20? 30?

sheesh.

Oh, I see from the other posts, this could all be unsubstantiated rumor.
It is pretty implausible.
-d

Dennis Landi writes:
Its funny. Caliber is a product I really think I could have written by
myself. Say, the core 80% of the product. There are some hairy-fairy parts
of it driven by academics that I never saw a use for...

Wow, I really have to wonder. 100 person team for Caliber???? Meanwhile,
how many developers are working on Delphi?
20? 30?
Particularly when you consider that there are so many other
requirements tools. For a partial list of others in the same space, see
www.volere.co.uk/tools.htm

Dennis Landi writes:
>Wow, I really have to wonder. 100 person team for Caliber???? Meanwhile,
>how many developers are working on Delphi?
>20? 30?
It is pretty implausible.
There seem to have been a large number of versions of CaliberRM.
www.borland.com/downloads/download_caliber.html
And each comes in German, French, English and Japanese versions.
With corporate inefficiency and the fact that ALM was supposed to have
been Borlands saviour ( like the Alpha was DEC's :-) ), I guess a 100
staff is possible. Rather stupid, but certainly within the bounds of
possibility.

Re: Rumor is out: Borland laid off 100 of CaliberRM team members

"Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft)" <pooh996.gmail.com>writes <457ef4c4$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
"They just laid off 100."

"The whole developer division for CaliberRM just found out the bad news that
we are all laid off. This is after spending nearly a million moving people
from the St. Petersburg office to Atlanta. What a waste. Happy Holidays."

"We in the CaliberRM product group just found out that we all lost our jobs.
They are moving development offshore. Everyone is sad because we delivered
our latest release in record time and this is our reward. "
I have no idea if those posts are true or not, but it does sound like the kind of thing a corporation will do when it is trying to cut costs. I guess if
these are true that it means CaliberRM will be pretty bad, perhaps eventually unusable. I have never seen offshoring result in a quality improvement, just
the opposite actually. The worst software I have ever encountered was always outsourced to the lowest bidder. A corporation ruining their own products in
order to bump up stock values for the idiot executives is the American Way. that is what all those American kids in Iraq are dying for, I guess. So I find
the rumors quite believable, though I am not sure I trust the Yahoo message boards. The fact that no Borlanders have contradicted the rumors is
interesting, though.
I noticed that the dates on those posts are over the last three days. Funny that nobody from these newsgroups noticed them before.
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 0.9.7.3075