CODEGEAR, please don't forget about scripting languages!

2006-11-16 12:56:48 AM
delphi97
If you want to compete with MS/.NET, compete with what .NET is mostly
being used for: web stuff!
I personally develop hybrid-applications: mixture of Delphi (client
side) and PHP (server side). And I'd love to have ability to use
PHP within Delphi! Yes, I already can (great PHP for Delphi
components):
members.chello.be/ws36637/php4delphi.html
but you could do so much more! What about Perl/Python/Ruby? I love them
all! And we all love Linux too! Have you seen turboPHP (writtten in
Delphi AFAIR)?
www.turbophp.com
What about award winning PRADO (PHP Zend contest) based on Delphi's
objects tree?
www.pradosoft.com/demos/quickstart/
That's the way to go! Hey Delphi users, would you agree with me?
Wishing CodeGear all the best!
Luke

Re:CODEGEAR, please don't forget about scripting languages!

Luke writes:
And we all love Linux too!
Who is "we"?
I like the idea of Linux - anything that annoys MS is ok by me. But
love it? No. I am indifferent to it, and will remain so until enough of
my customers ask for it to make the effort worthwhile.

Re:CODEGEAR, please don't forget about scripting languages!

I think PHP is the most wanted thing if there ever will be a new personality
in BDS.
There has been some talks about how to add custom personalities in BDS
during the webinar sessions.
David I said it is possible to do, but requires a lot of work. And if I dont
remember this wrong (correct me anyone) he suggested that these things
should be brought up on Nick's Hodges Delphi hour.
"Luke" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>skrev i meddelandet
[...]

we=delphi developers.
I know many of them who use Linux everyday.
You can either look for the customers and ask them what they want or
... have a product and sell it (customers come to you, buy and usually
don't care about the technical details since they got interested in
your product and they'll do everything to have it). Works for me with
cross platform Win/Linux applications.
Regards,
L.

Luke writes:
>Who is "we"?
we=delphi developers.
I know many of them who use Linux everyday.
Ah. I think the phrase you are after "Some of us", not "We".
You can either look for the customers and ask them
what they want or... have a product and sell it
My existing customer base is pretty representative of my entire
potential customer base. They're heavily invested in Windows systems,
and have no desire to go through the expense, time and effort to change
platforms "just because". Likewise, I am not interested in going through
the expense, time and effort to develop for a platform where I won't
sell enough product to be profitable.
Again, that is *my* customer base. it is my job to know what they want.
Your customer base is different, and no doubt has different needs.

Re:CODEGEAR, please don't forget about scripting languages!

I knew I was exaggerating and I did it on purpose :-)
Sorry, but I really see the future of CodeGear teamed up with PHP and
PHP related frameworks (it doesn't mean leaving BDS). PHP developers
need a RAD tool and so far there's none good on the market.
And as I said, .NET is mostly used for web programming - this is where
CodeGear could grab a nice piece of cake.
Regards,
Luke

Luke writes:
Sorry, but I really see the future of CodeGear teamed up with PHP and
PHP related frameworks (it doesn't mean leaving BDS). PHP developers
need a RAD tool and so far there's none good on the market.
Well, let them get the current problems in the BDS straightened out
first, eh? As a favor to me.

Re:CODEGEAR, please don't forget about scripting languages!

PHP is not a bad idea.
If you want to compete with MS/.NET, compete with what .NET is mostly
being used for: web stuff!
I think the last thing they want is to *compete* with MS. What
they really want and need (that is if they are sane) is to locate
another niche market. Which could be related to RAD WEB development
in case they invent something really cool.
Michael
Luke writes:
[...]

Yes, please.

Re:CODEGEAR, please don't forget about scripting languages!

Definitely agreed!
L.

On 15 Nov 2006 13:53:09 -0800, "Luke" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I knew I was exaggerating and I did it on purpose :-)

Sorry, but I really see the future of CodeGear teamed up with PHP and
PHP related frameworks (it doesn't mean leaving BDS). PHP developers
need a RAD tool and so far there's none good on the market.

And as I said, .NET is mostly used for web programming - this is where
CodeGear could grab a nice piece of cake.
www.turbophp.com/
It is even written in Delphi, AFAIK.
--
Lars Fosdal
lars(q)fosdal.com

Tom Corey schrieb:
Luke writes:

>Sorry, but I really see the future of CodeGear teamed up with PHP and
>PHP related frameworks (it doesn't mean leaving BDS). PHP developers
>need a RAD tool and so far there's none good on the market.

Well, let them get the current problems in the BDS straightened out
first, eh? As a favor to me.
Yes too!

Re:CODEGEAR, please don't forget about scripting languages!

The free "Python for Delphi" components:
mmm-experts.com/Products.aspx
Very, very impressive.