Re: Delphi Socket Servers: If you were shown how, would you?

2006-12-31 11:45:21 PM
delphi201
My web site venkateshvt.com/default.aspx is written in Delphi asp.net
Venkatesh
"Richard Foersom" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Dennis Landi writes:

>Are there any Delphi Developers with web sites based on pure Delphi
>server technology?

There are a few Delphi powered web sites listed here:

<delphi.wikia.com/wiki/Web_Sites_Powered_by_Delphi>

Feel free to add to the list.

Doei RIF

Re: Delphi Socket Servers: If you were shown how, would you?

Windows "shared hosting" services are generally more than linux but by
maybe $5-20 here in the states.
Ingvar Nilsen writes:
Frans van Daalen writes:

>Linux hosting for eur 3,-/month.
>Dedicated Windows server>Eur 200/month

Aren't you comparing very different products here?
This Linux price can't be for a dedicated server?

Re: Delphi Socket Servers: If you were shown how, would you?

Dennis Landi writes:
I use NexusDB..Because it is also an excellent example of
pure delphi tech based on pure delphi socket servers...
Agree mostly. Our db-driven commercial site uses
Intraweb + NexusDB, plus Indy10 for the auto-reply, e-newsletter
features. *But* why would I spend the time rolling my own server
app when the Intraweb team has done such a remarkable job for
me? And they handle the time-consuming headaches of ensuring
compatibility with all the new browser versions.
JoeH

Re: Delphi Socket Servers: If you were shown how, would you?

Dennis Landi writes:
With all the talk of other non-Delphi web server technologies
floating around I thought I would write the following:

I don't understand why a Delphi Developer would feel the need to
adopt a non-delphi web server technology platform if he/she already
knew how to build a web server with Delphi...

Are there any Delphi Developers with web sites based on pure Delphi
server technology? Any Indy powered sites? RealThinClient sites?
I'm not sure I get your point. Why would I want to roll my own web
server? Several years ago I used Indy to create a web based
application. There's not much of a challenge creating a simple web
server - since Indy pretty much handles that. The trick is making a
system that is easy to build, maintain, update and keep up with
current technology.
When I wrote my own web server, it all went fine until I decided to
add a few fields on a form, change some colors or otherwise modify
it. What a nightmare! I used that app to generate a few sales and
then promptly went looking for an easier technology.
That's when I found Intraweb. I immediately ported my app over to
use it and haven't looked back. Here's why:
1. Form layout, colors, general look and feel is done in Delphi with
the existing form editor in design mode. Sure, I can code my own,
and I sometimes do, but for most forms, the Delphi form designer
covers everything.
2. AJAX, Cookies, Javascript - Oh man... If there's one place where
Intraweb really shines - it is hiding complex technologies! There's
tracking user sessions, keeping Javascript current and matching it to
the right browsers, etc. And then there's AJAX: As far as I know,
there is no other technology out there doing what Intraweb has done
with AJAX. Try this: Create a form, create a button, set the
property for OnAJAXClick, and wire it to change the color of the
button. that is it! I have been playing with their version 9 AJAX
stuff for months now and can not imagine doing without it.
So, sure, it is easy to serve up content in response to http requests
- plenty of technology in Delphi to do this. But then you've got to
figure out what to serve up - I have tried that and I would much prefer to
let someone else do the work for me.
My app? Several hundred thousand lines of Delphi that connects to MS
SQL, Oracle and DB2. Uses Tatuk GIS to render maps, my own SVG
engine to render diagrams, and Antenna House to render PDF files.
It's used by hundreds of US and Canadian government agencies to
monitor their automobile crash data. They track where crashes are
and why they are occuring. The app was created as a DOS app in 1987,
ported to Windows and now to the web using Intraweb. (yes, we're
celebrating our 20th year in business starting tomorrow!)
-Pete

Re: Delphi Socket Servers: If you were shown how, would you?

Dennis Landi writes:
If you are a Delphi Developer, and if you were given the chance to
SIMPLIFY the whole process of building your own webserver from
scratch that had no dependancies on any other technology, why
wouldn't you jump at the chance?
To be honest, I am not sure I know why. ASP.NET and other technologies
like Intraweb have so much of an infrastructure surrounding them, that
I'm not sure why you'd want to build your own infrastructure from
scratch.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Re: Delphi Socket Servers: If you were shown how, would you?

Donald Shimoda writes:
Can be GREAT if that projects sources is available to comunnity, dont
you think?
Yep, a distinct possibility, though I am not sure I want the whole world
to see my code! ;-)
--

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
Donald Shimoda writes:

>Can be GREAT if that projects sources is available to comunnity,
>dont you think?

Yep, a distinct possibility, though I am not sure I want the whole
world to see my code! ;-)
Anybody aprecciate a lot of fun ;)
--
Donald.

Re: Delphi Socket Servers: If you were shown how, would you?

<"roberto _at_ dellapasqua _dot_ com">writes:
Delphi as web platform is EXCEPTIONAL (IMHO)
I agree here. Delphi is a /terrific/ platform for building any type of
Sockets/TCP/IP application. This is due is very, very large part to
the outstanding work of the Indy team.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re: Delphi Socket Servers: If you were shown how, would you?

Hi,
I both as a consultant and as an employee (long story).
As a consultant, sometimes my customers had shared web hosting, and they
aren't allowed to put executables in the server, only scripts (which can be
verified), so I had to use PHP, which was OK, and, in one case, old ASP,
which was painfull. OTOH, when the customer is allowed to use executables,
I've used web broker (both Delphi and Kylix) and Intraweb with great
success.
As for my job as an employee, where I have full control of the webserver,
altough I still have some webbroker aps, all new web development is done in
Delphi using ASP.NET. The possibility of using Windows authentication is big
plus to me. Delphi/ASP.NET/Firebird is a killer combination for web apps.
Sure, it wil be even better when Delphi does ASP.NET 2.0 with Master Pages.
Except for the cases where you're not allowed to use executables, I see no
reason not to use Delphi, if this is your primary development language.
Regards,
Marco

Re: Delphi Socket Servers: If you were shown how, would you?

"Nick Hodges (CodeGear)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<"roberto _at_ dellapasqua _dot_ com">writes:

>Delphi as web platform is EXCEPTIONAL (IMHO)

I agree here. Delphi is a /terrific/ platform for building any type of
Sockets/TCP/IP application. This is due is very, very large part to
the outstanding work of the Indy team.
While I agree that Delphi is superb for sockets and TCP/IP work, it ought to
be noted that Synapse is also a great library. In my newsreader I used both.
Indy for basic communication and Synapse for decoding.

Re: Delphi Socket Servers: If you were shown how, would you?

Dennis Landi writes:
The fact is tServerSocket is all you need to build a high performance
and robust webserver. But, believe it or not, that component
(instead of being ehanced) has even now been deprecated in Delphi
since verson 7. You can still get to it, but you have to add it to
the component pallette yourself.
I can not fault Borland for removing these components. We stopped using
the TClientSocket and TServerSocket components quite a while ago
because Indy and ICS gave us better performance and reliability,
especially under load.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Re: Delphi Socket Servers: If you were shown how, would you?

Fritz Huber writes:
First of all, I am very interested in the topic, so please publish those
papers. I have been playing around with RTS and ICS and it is a really
interesting topic.

The reason why I personally don't use Delphi on the webserver is that it
doesn't run on Linux. Plain and simple.

I don't see a reason for using anything else than Apache and Linux on the
webserver.
It's free, it is secure, and it is easy to administrate using (free) remote
tools. can not really ask for more, can you?

What reasons are there for writing your own webserver?

I run Apache DSOs built with Cross Kylix on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
It's a busy server that does secure file transfers using HTTPS and the
last time I checked the uptime it was over 400 days.
This app also uses Synapse for a couple of things and Zeos for database
connectivity.
So you can use Delphi for server stuff on Linux, and it is not really
that difficult.
If CodeGear was smart they would bring back Kylix as a server
development solution with nice easy wizards for creating daemons etc.
Tony

John Jacobson writes:
While I agree that Delphi is superb for sockets and TCP/IP work, it
ought to be noted that Synapse is also a great library. In my
newsreader I used both. Indy for basic communication and Synapse for
decoding.
I use intensively Synapse in app connection in real time with embebbed
hardware. Great result and 24x7x365 up thanks to Synapse.
--
Donald

Re: Delphi Socket Servers: If you were shown how, would you?

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
I agree here. Delphi is a /terrific/ platform for building any type of
Sockets/TCP/IP application. This is due is very, very large part to
the outstanding work of the Indy team.

Synapse is actually better than Indy for creating robust socket server
applications without a doubt.
Synapse also has a far superior interface to OpenSSL and other
encryption libs.
Tony

Re: Delphi Socket Servers: If you were shown how, would you?

Dennis Landi writes:

And that is just one server-side component that ships with Delphi and so is
free for just about any Delphi license holder. Indy ships too, but I am not
sure if there is a full-fledged HTTP Server available for download to show
developers how to do it? Is there? Who has a link?
Synapse has one, I have not used the http server that comes with
synapse, but I have used the synapse client side http stuff with great
success.