Re: Developing on Vista - a slow experience?

2007-01-21 07:33:41 AM
delphi239
"I.P. Nichols" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
"Lars Fosdal" writes:
>"I.P. Nichols" writes:

>>>If 100% of your client base is on Windows, why would you be on Linux?
>>
>>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_off_the_nose_to_spite_the_face
>
>I fail to see the relevance. It is an honest question.

"Cutting off the nose to spite the face is an expression used to describe a
needlessly spiteful or self-destructive overreaction to a problem. "Don't
cut off your nose to spite your face" is a warning not to act out of pique
or pursue revenge in such a way as to damage yourself more than the object
of your anger."
I still fail to see the relevance. Why would one chose Linux if your
client base only use Windows?

Re: Developing on Vista - a slow experience?

Steve Troxell writes:
Registry virtualization
Greek to me
--
Ingvar Nilsen
Brand New Web Site! Free Delphi Tool:

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
Steve Troxell writes:
>Registry virtualization
Greek to me
It can be thought of as an interim step in moving your applications to
be Vista compatible.
There are a LOT of Vista related technologies coming out now. No
developer can afford to be Vista-ignorant.
"Registry virtualization is an application compatibility technology that
enables registry write operations that have global impact to be
redirected to per-user locations. This redirection is transparent to
applications reading from or writing to the registry. It is supported
starting with Windows Vista.
This form of virtualization is an interim application compatibility
technology; Microsoft intends to remove it from future versions of the
Windows operating system as more applications are made compatible with
Windows Vista. Therefore, it is important that your application does not
become dependent on the behavior of registry virtualization in the system."
msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965884.aspx

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>Steve Troxell writes:
>>Registry virtualization
>Greek to me

It can be thought of as an interim step in moving your applications
to be Vista compatible.

There are a LOT of Vista related technologies coming out now. No
developer can afford to be Vista-ignorant.

"Registry virtualization is an application compatibility technology
that enables registry write operations that have global impact to be
redirected to per-user locations.
Doh! I did not recognioze the terminology. I paid $ 300 for a 3 days
course last August to learn this :)
--

"Lars Fosdal" writes:
"I.P. Nichols" writes:

>"Cutting off the nose to spite the face is an expression used to describe
>needlessly spiteful or self-destructive overreaction to a problem. "Don't
>cut off your nose to spite your face" is a warning not to act out of pique
>or pursue revenge in such a way as to damage yourself more than the object
>of your anger."

I still fail to see the relevance.
Because you misunderstand the point I am making. ;-)
Why would one chose Linux if your client base only use Windows?
Only if one wished to be needlessly spiteful!
Get the point now?

Re: Developing on Vista - a slow experience?

I still fail to see the relevance. Why would one chose Linux if your
client base only use Windows?
They wouldn't. Thats what it means.

"Lars Fosdal" writes:
>"I.P. Nichols" writes:
>>
>>"Cutting off the nose to spite the face is an expression used to describe
>>needlessly spiteful or self-destructive overreaction to a problem. "Don't
>>cut off your nose to spite your face" is a warning not to act out of pique
>>or pursue revenge in such a way as to damage yourself more than the object
>>of your anger."
>
>I still fail to see the relevance.

Because you misunderstand the point I am making. ;-)

>Why would one chose Linux if your client base only use Windows?

Only if one wished to be needlessly spiteful!

Get the point now?
I do need to be spoonfed from time to time. The expression was (and
still mostly is) a total mystery to me. Never heard it before. But,
yes - point taken :)

Re: Developing on Vista - a slow experience?

"Lars Fosdal" <Lars(q)Fosdal.com>writes
"I.P. Nichols" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>"Lars Fosdal" writes:
>>"I.P. Nichols" writes:
>>>
>>>"Cutting off the nose to spite the face is an expression used to
>>>describe
>>>needlessly spiteful or self-destructive overreaction to a problem.
>>>"Don't
>>>cut off your nose to spite your face" is a warning not to act out of
>>>pique
>>>or pursue revenge in such a way as to damage yourself more than the
>>>object
>>>of your anger."
>>
>>I still fail to see the relevance.
>
>Because you misunderstand the point I am making. ;-)
>
>>Why would one chose Linux if your client base only use Windows?
>
>Only if one wished to be needlessly spiteful!
>
>Get the point now?

I do need to be spoonfed from time to time. The expression was (and
still mostly is) a total mystery to me. Never heard it before. But,
yes - point taken :)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_off_the_nose_to_spite_the_face
This reference I gave in my original posting should have given you a clew.
;-)
And it ends with another proverb:
[Since the advice contained in "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face"
is good, it is not surprising that similar proverbs have been popular in
other languages and cultures, including the Chinese "Do not burn down your
own house even to annoy your wife's mother."]

Re: Developing on Vista - a slow experience?

"Fritz Huber" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

At home I am having no problems with XP. But little things get annoying,
for example getting asked what to search for, when 99,9% of my time I want
to search for files. I am sure you can turn that off somewhere in the
registry, but I am too lazy to search. At least I have turned off all those
annoying "balloon" windows.

This was one of, if not the, most annoying 'feature' when I moved to XP.
This is a little bit from memory, 'cause mine's already undone, but try this
Open explorer and select a folder
Hit F3
Click on Change Preferences
Click on File and Folder search behavior
Select the bottom option - Advanced - include options.......
I also turned off the animated screen charachter under the search behavior
too
This gets you back to the Win2000/Win98 style of searching.

Re: Developing on Vista - a slow experience?

>I press F3 and dog shows up
No dog here

Is there a way to jump directly to the search box?

Fritz Huber writes:

>>I press F3 and dog shows up
>No dog here

Is there a way to jump directly to the search box?
I press F3 and the left search pane opens immediately. I have never
seen any dog that I can remember
--
Ingvar Nilsen
Brand New Web Site! Free Delphi Tool:
www.ingvarius.com

Re: Developing on Vista - a slow experience?

Fritz Huber writes:
One good thing about Windows is that you can tweak
almost anything...
Windows is overwhelming. It is impossible to know everything. I have
started to assume that if I want something changed or want a feature
which is I dont know about, it is there, always, I just have to find it.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
Brand New Web Site! Free Delphi Tool:
www.ingvarius.com

Re: Developing on Vista - a slow experience?

Fritz Huber writes:
The biggest one is extremely slow network access. It took forever to
find other machines on the network,
I have not noticed that problem. What I did find, and I am not sure t
his is XP specific is that if you have a network drive mapped that is
disabled, everything is slow, even OUtlook. This is, however a known
issue. But for connected drives I never had a problem.

At home I am having no problems with XP. But little things get
annoying, for example getting asked what to search for, when 99,9% of
my time I want to search for files. I am sure you can turn that off
somewhere in the registry, but I am too lazy to search. At least I've
turned off all those annoying "balloon" windows.
uhhh, then you are going to hate Vista. It takes asking and
double-checking what you want to do to a whole new level.
--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software, LLC

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>I press F3 and dog shows up
No dog here
I get the dog. He looks friendly so i let him stay. :-)
--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software, LLC

Re: Developing on Vista - a slow experience?

Steve Troxell writes:

www.installationexcellence.com/articles/VistaWithDelphi/Index.h
tml
Yep, that is the link and it works perfectly. It took very little time
to incorporate all of that into my application.