Re: Missing Win64 and Unicode support

2006-06-19 10:13:38 PM
delphi228
John O'Harrow schrieb:
"Bernhard Geyer" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
news:44959eee$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

>>I think it is perfectly acceptable to specify a minimum requirement of
>>Win2k if a client wants to enjoy the benefits of Unicode in their
>>application.
>
>Not for us.

For D2006, the minimum spec for both development and deployment is already
Window 2000. Check out the 'system requirements' section on the datasheet.

www.borland.com/resources/en/pdf/products/delphi/delphi2006_datasheet.pdf

I' using Delphi 6 and even with this "old" IDE you can use Unicode "without" problems.

Re: Missing Win64 and Unicode support

"Eric Grange" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Very few people require 64-bit for a zip program, so this cannot be a
>very important reason.

Not really, because if you want to integrate your zip program with the
XP64 or Vista64 explorer, it has to be 64bit (otherwise your integration
will show up only in the 32bit explorer, which isn't the one used by
default by the OS).

You're quite right. The only reason I need a 64-bit BDS is for Shell
Extension development.
- Roddy

Re: Missing Win64 and Unicode support

Rod writes:

Another project has moved from Delphi to Microsoft’s Visual Studio
due to missing Win64 and Unicode support.

read the story:
www.izarc.org/
Just curious. Why is unicode so important to everyone?
It seems that is one of the big Wish items for Delphi. I understand
that it can simplify localization, but we have been localizing for
years using DBCS and have never had any issues.
The only thing I can think of is that you could have one app that can
display multiple langages (Japanese, Chinese, English, French etc)
without having to deal with code pages.
--

Re: Missing Win64 and Unicode support

Tom Reiertsen writes:
Why not just use Delphi for the GUI and then write the "performance" code
with a C++ compiler?
What makes you think that the performance of code produced by a c++
compiler is better then delphi compiler?
Benchmarks don´t show this.
Felipe

Bob writes:
Just curious. Why is unicode so important to everyone?
<snip>
The only thing I can think of is that you could have one app that can
display multiple langages (Japanese, Chinese, English, French etc)
without having to deal with code pages.
Yep, that is exactly what I want to use it for. I have a unicode
database, which contains documents in many different languages (incl
Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French, Spanish, and more). I want to be able
to display and edit all those documents on the one machine.
--Rob

Bob writes:
The only thing I can think of is that you could have one app that can
display multiple langages (Japanese, Chinese, English, French etc)
without having to deal with code pages.
This is, increasingly, a big deal. For anything which deals with
user-submitted content from the web, for example, there really is no
other choice.
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
server: support.borland.com/entry.jspa

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
This is, increasingly, a big deal. For anything which deals with
user-submitted content from the web, for example, there really is no
other choice.
Ok, this I can see. I was thinking of the standard app and not
considering web related issues.
--

Re: Missing Win64 and Unicode support

The other important thing is interacting with other technologies like
DBs. Slowly the standard way to communicate is becoming UNICODE.
Delphi is going to be one of the last development tools to support it
natively. :-(
Bob writes:
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:

>This is, increasingly, a big deal. For anything which deals with
>user-submitted content from the web, for example, there really is no
>other choice.

Ok, this I can see. I was thinking of the standard app and not
considering web related issues.

--
Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager

Re: Missing Win64 and Unicode support

Ok, this I can see. I was thinking of the standard app and not
considering web related issues.
Standard apps routinely have to deal with internationalization, and rather than
each app doing its own particular codepage soup, it is just *way* simpler when
everyone speaks in Unicode.
Eric

Re: Missing Win64 and Unicode support

Didn't you write?:

Ok, this I can see. I was thinking of the standard app and not
considering web related issues.

Standard app. I see. Where you live, you possibly
can't see any use for Unicode; but where I live
(Hong Kong) Unicode is quite definitely a plus, if
not a MUST.

"Bob" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Just curious. Why is unicode so important to everyone?
Another major reason is simply the fact, that the Windows platform
itself have been supporting 100% internationalization for 5 years now,
and has become a truly global platform.
Let's not forget when Delphi 1 saw the light back in 1995 the World was
using Windows 3.1.
Intl language (ie. "non-domestic") support was a joke, and mostly
considered an after thought (if at all). Most software was written and
used in UK/US anyway so why bother.
However, since NT4 & Win2k MS really stepped up to the
internationalization challenge, and made internationalization a
fundamental feature of the Windows platform.
When you move around the world and discover ordinary businesses running
WinXP in Taiwanese, Russian, Georgian, Hindi, suddenly you start to
appreciate the big picture...
Now we just need Delphi Win32 to be a first class member of that picture
too.