Re: backorder stuff

2007-03-31 12:35:30 AM
delphi192
Finally, FEDEX arrived. I wasn't home, so they left a message. I
understood from the message I will have to pay 72$ and I called them to
ask what's the 72 bucks for. They said these are customs fees.

This bothers me, since I thought all the costs were included when I
ordered the stuff back in February. If I knew it will cost me 100 $
more and 2 more weeks of waiting, I'd have certainly waited for a
download option, which I was not given in Feb.

Frankly, I very much dislike businesses with hidden costs and I think
for this very simple reason I will refuse the package. My CC was not
yet charged and when it will be charged I will talk with VISA and refuse
to pay.
It's not Borland/CodeGear that decides on custom fees.
Where do you live and where did you order?
--
Martijn Tonies
MS SQL Server

Re: backorder stuff

Hi,
Finally, FEDEX arrived. I wasn't home, so they left a message. I
understood from the message I will have to pay 72$ and I called them to
ask what's the 72 bucks for. They said these are customs fees.
This bothers me, since I thought all the costs were included when I
ordered the stuff back in February. If I knew it will cost me 100 $
more and 2 more weeks of waiting, I'd have certainly waited for a
download option, which I was not given in Feb.
Frankly, I very much dislike businesses with hidden costs and I think
for this very simple reason I will refuse the package. My CC was not
yet charged and when it will be charged I will talk with VISA and refuse
to pay.
regards,
Lucian

Re: backorder stuff

It's not Borland/CodeGear that decides on custom fees.

Where do you live and where did you order?
I live in Toronto/CAN and I ordered from shop.borland.ca.
I don't give a {*word*99} who decides what. I only want to know the costs
BEFORE I actually buy things.
No way I am going to pay 72 $ for a DVD delivery.
Customers must be warned up-front about any such fees.
Lucian

Re: backorder stuff

"Lucian" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Finally, FEDEX arrived. I wasn't home, so they left a message. I
understood from the message I will have to pay 72$ and I called them to
ask what's the 72 bucks for. They said these are customs fees.
Don't quote me on this, but I believe, if you refuse to pay customs fees,
FedEx will, as the first option, simply charge these fees to the shipper.
The shipper certainly wouldn't like it; but you can try it, if you feel adventures.

Re: backorder stuff

To be fair, I now went again on shop.borland.ca and faked an order. At
the bottom of the order it will say
"Customer responsible for all import duties upon receipt."
However, 72$ import duties from US to Canada, for a DVD seems a bit
much, not to mention I did not expect it because I thought I was
ordering from the Canada store, what else does it mean shop.borland.CA
?? Of course than IE redirects you to shop.borland.COM but that is f*g
B.S.
Lucian

Re: backorder stuff

They call them "brokerage fees" and all they do for it is fill out a couple
of customs forms when it crosses the border. When I last encountered this, I
phoned them and they suggested that I could travel to the border and walk it
over myself if I didn't want to pay the fee. I now specify that packages be
sent it by regular mail (USPS) and not use these "convenience" services.
This is not a CodeGear issue and there's plenty of evidence of irate
customers all over the web, e.g.
www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpress/posts/2006/12/10/ups-brokerage-fee-class-action/
ie
"Lucian" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Depends where you are.

Currently In Toronto. Few years ago, I sent a 4 battery MagLite
flahslight to Romania. It was one of the heaviest packs I sent from
Toronto. It costed me a lot less. I had stuff shipped in the past: I
think my Delphi 5 which came with books (heavy stuff), memory chips
(light stuff), hard drive (again heavy), etc. It never costed that much

>... customs fees are, but it doesnt seem to apply to everything.

I'll go later to the FEDEX office and tell them where exactly to stick
these fees.

Lucian

Re: backorder stuff

Canada? Can somebody educate me, please?
Firstly, Isn't Canada a member of the Information
Technology Agreement (ITA), and as such, supposed to
impose no tariffs on software?
And secondly, there is NAFTA with no tariffs on computer
parts, and software is a computer part.

Re: backorder stuff

Lucian writes:

Frankly, I very much dislike businesses with hidden costs
Why are you blaming CodeGear for government customs charges?
--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc (www.winwright.ca)
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are

Re: backorder stuff

Lucian writes:

I live in Toronto/CAN and I ordered from shop.borland.ca.
Lucian, I am in the Toronto area too. Surely this is not the first time
you've ordered something from across the border that you had to pay such
costs for?
Actually are you sure it is customs fees or is it GST? I recently ordered
InterBase licenses for a client and FedEx checked the customs box but in
fact it wasn't, it was just good old GST - but either way, CodeGear has no
control over government extortion.
--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc (www.winwright.ca)
"Nature abhors the vacuum tube." - J.R. Pierce, Bell Labs engineer who

Re: backorder stuff

Lucian writes:
Finally, FEDEX arrived. I wasn't home, so they left a message. I
understood from the message I will have to pay 72$ and I called them
to ask what's the 72 bucks for. They said these are customs fees.

This bothers me, since I thought all the costs were included when I
ordered the stuff back in February. If I knew it will cost me 100 $
more and 2 more weeks of waiting, I'd have certainly waited for a
download option, which I was not given in Feb.
Depends where you are.
Ive had software from the US (Everquest) and there were no custom fees,
Ive had software from the US (Dreamweaver) and there were custom fees,
but it was like 10 pounds.. I then ordered 1 t-shirt and a couple of
bits of {*word*99} from think geek worth about $50 and when it got here I
pretty much ended up paying double in "customs fees"
I dont know why or how they decide what those customs fees are, but it
doesnt seem to apply to everything.
--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

Re: backorder stuff

Lucian writes:
Frankly, I very much dislike businesses with hidden costs and I think
for this very simple reason I will refuse the package.
I can assure you that /we/ didn't charge you that.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Re: backorder stuff

Depends where you are.
Currently In Toronto. Few years ago, I sent a 4 battery MagLite
flahslight to Romania. It was one of the heaviest packs I sent from
Toronto. It costed me a lot less. I had stuff shipped in the past: I
think my Delphi 5 which came with books (heavy stuff), memory chips
(light stuff), hard drive (again heavy), etc. It never costed that much
... customs fees are, but it doesnt seem to apply to everything.
I'll go later to the FEDEX office and tell them where exactly to stick
these fees.
Lucian

Re: backorder stuff

"Lucian" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

I live in Toronto/CAN and I ordered from shop.borland.ca.
I'm in Vancouver and did the same. I didn't have to pay any customs fees.
It's a typical{*word*222}up by Canada Customs. Some illiterate working a
dead-end federal government job had a bad day/chosen career path and decided
to take it on you. Next time vote for a government that will slash the
bureaucracy and put these bums out on the street.
Seriously, I would phone FedEx to suggest there's a mistake on it. It's
software and I don't think it should be charged.

Re: backorder stuff

I can assure you that we didn't charge you that.
I never said you guys did, sorry if it seemed that way. I only complain
that when you buy it from the online store:
1. you are given the impression there wouldn't be any *custom fees*,
after all that is why you type in a specific address to begin with:
shop.borland.ca If this however is just a stupid make-up, than well,
digital river sucks once again. I won't be shopping there any more.
2. since you have to put there your address, so it can be shipped, it
would be good at least a hint of what any custom fees might be charged.
I am sure it can be done. I have seen similar quotes elsewhere in the
past.
regards,
Lucian

Re: backorder stuff

Lucian writes:
I'll go later to the FEDEX office and tell them where exactly to stick
these fees.
I do wish that fees like that could be detailed in advance, I certainly
wont ever order from thinkgeek again, which is a shame coz they have
some nice stuff, but with the customs fees I paid last time, I couldnt
afford to!