Re: A Delphi enhancement that I would like to see

2006-07-20 11:50:50 PM
delphi240
Florent Ouchet <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in news:44bf9950$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:
Class helpers can neither introduce new properties in the object
inspector nor add new fields to a class nor add new items in the debug
inspector.
Really? I thought the ECO stuff used class helpers to create new
properties for visual controls.
--
Iman

Re: A Delphi enhancement that I would like to see

Ralf Mimoun writes:
I am thinking about using such a field for debugging etc. Something like
adding a line every time a property is set, so you can examine what
happened.
For debugging, I'd just use breakpoint logging in the IDE itself or
use simple file logging. If you want something more robust/full
featured check out codesite or smartinspect.
On that note, one feature that I'd really like to see in the IDE is
the option of setting persistent bookmarks and breakpoints.
Strings are very handy, and having something for quick&dirty
solutions like the tag can be usefull. And can be abused, too.
Sure, but the problem is the abuse and overhead. ;)
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Re: A Delphi enhancement that I would like to see

Hi Ralf!
Ralf Mimoun writes:
[...] Something like adding a line every time a property is set, so you
can examine what happened. Strings are very handy, and having something
for quick&dirty solutions like the tag can be usefull. And can be abused,
too. [...]
If it comes to debugging I recommend trying SmartInspect. Very handy
especially when remote logging is needed.
Robert

Re: A Delphi enhancement that I would like to see

Hi Ralf!
Ralf Mimoun writes:
[...] That adds a Comments property to the OI for every component?
Kind of. It shows a panel where you can edit comments. They are stored in
the source code as XMLDoc style comments.
Every tool I add to D5 makes it less stable.
Let me add this to: "Every OTHER tool [...]".
MMX is rock solid - and Gerrit's support is outstanding - comparable to Tim
Young (DBISAM).
And because of my customers demands, D5 is still one of my main
development tools.
No problem with that. You know, the ERP system of my biggest customer is
still maintained in Delphi 5 - and I don't think that will ever change ;)
Robert

Brian Moelk writes:
For debugging, I'd just use breakpoint logging in the IDE itself
or use simple file logging. If you want something more robust/full
featured check out codesite or smartinspect.
Guys, I know them all :-) But sometimes, a simple string is all you need.
And as I said, commenting a TComponent seems to be not the worst idea. At
least not for me - and it is _very_ simple to add.
>Strings are very handy, and having something for quick&dirty
>solutions like the tag can be usefull. And can be abused, too.

Sure, but the problem is the abuse and overhead. ;)
The overhead is almost nil, I would say.
Ralf

Ralf Mimoun writes:
The overhead is almost nil, I would say.
The difference between almost nil and nil is not nil. ;)
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Re: A Delphi enhancement that I would like to see

Ralf Mimoun writes:

That adds a Comments property to the OI for every component? Every tool
I add to D5 makes it less stable. And because of my customers demands,
D5 is still one of my main development tools.

Ralf
Well, since Devco isn't likely to offer an update to version 5 of Delphi
with the TComponent enhancements you want and you can not upgrade, then
you're request is kind of moot, don't you think? :-)
Mark

Re: A Delphi enhancement that I would like to see

It would be like the tag property. Just as a string not an Integer.
So i think it would do more harm than good because people will try to use it for all kinds of hacks just like tag.
Ralf

Mark A. Andrews writes:
Well, since Devco isn't likely to offer an update to version 5 of
Delphi with the TComponent enhancements you want and you can't
upgrade, then you're request is kind of moot, don't you think? :-)
Who said that I can not upgrade, or that I did not upgrade? D5 is my main
development tool. it is not the only one I use, and my customers will one day
switch to the then current version.
Ralf

Re: A Delphi enhancement that I would like to see

Hi Ralf!
Ralf Mimoun writes:
[...] Guys, I know them all :-) [...]
You know that I know that you know them all ;)
But there are people out there that don't know...
...ok, must be the heat outside ;)
Greetings from Cologne
Robert

Re: A Delphi enhancement that I would like to see

Class helpers can neither introduce new properties in the object
inspector nor add new fields to a class nor add new items in the debug
inspector.
But you can add fake properties to existing objects.
Eco does this and there's an example on how to do this
in Code Central. Author: Tjipke van der Plaats
Gerrit Beuze
ModelMaker Tools

Re: A Delphi enhancement that I would like to see

Hello Ralf,
a very simple wish from me: a new property called "Comments" or something
similar in TComponent. Only for documentation purpose. Yes, it will not be
easy to find a property name that is not used by any 3rd party component, and
yes, that string will cost time when creating and destroying an object. But
it could really help in the Object Inspector. If you don't need it, then
simply swithc it off in the OI.
ModelMaker Code Explorer does something like (Live Documentation): check
www.modelmakertools.com/code-explorer/index.html
and for a flash movie demo:
modelmakertools.com/movies/mmx-documentation.htm
Gerrit Beuze
ModelMaker Tools

Re: A Delphi enhancement that I would like to see

Hello Ralf
I think the following BDS article gives you exactly the mechanism you
are looking for:
Adding a 'fake' property to a component - by Tjipke van der Plaats
bdn.borland.com/article/33448
===
www.eddyMax.com
www.kontrolltechnik.com

Re: A Delphi enhancement that I would like to see

"Gerrit Beuze" <gerrit[at]modelmaker[dot]demon[dot]nl>wrote in
But you can add fake properties to existing objects.
Eco does this and there's an example on how to do this
in Code Central. Author: Tjipke van der Plaats
It was pointed out these are class extenders.
--
Iman

Ralf Mimoun writes:
I am thinking about using such a field for debugging etc. Something like
adding a line every time a property is set, so you can examine what
happened.
Strings are very handy, and having something for quick&dirty solutions like
the tag can be usefull. And can be abused, too.
The internal utilities that I write have a splitter on the right side with
a TMemo on the other side of the splitter. The splitter is expanded on
startup, so that the TMemo is hidden by default. Clicking the splitter
expands the form to show the TMemo.
Of course, as the utility is running, various things are logged to the
TMemo for troubleshooting purposes. Very handy indeed.
Although, in a commercial or publicly distributed app, I would make such a log
hidden and more difficult to access.