Re: Need to buy a Grid component, TOP 3?

2005-08-22 12:56:47 AM
delphi30
Alvaro GP writes:
I'm very surprised that this time you didn't insult anyone (but sure
you will do it very soon..).
You see insults where none exists.
Oh just what you have been doing lately.. and unpunished to your luck.
In those cases where I have violated newsgroup guidelines, the
*moderators* have, rightly, cancelled the offending post.
If you've taken it upon yourself to 'punish' me by answering my posts
this way, you should know:
1) The moderators likely look unfavorably on someone trying to usurp
their authority.
2) Your attempts serve only to reinforce the general negative view that
many, if not most, of the group participants have of you, while leaving
their opinion of me unchanged.
3) You absolutely lack the ability to punish me in any way. At your
absolute most extreme, the strongest reaction you cause me is mild
amu{*word*224}t at your enthusiastic, but absurdly pathetic, attempts.

Eric Schreiber writes:
You see insults where none exists.
Heh. This is funny. Maybe you are so accustomed to insult that you
don't recognize it when you drop one?
In those cases where I have violated newsgroup guidelines, the
*moderators* have, rightly, cancelled the offending post.
In that case you can, for example, call me now TROLL, because as
everybody knows the TeamB already gave you "license to insult". It can
be 5 days or more until John Kaster notices your violation and cancels
your post.
If you've taken it upon yourself to 'punish' me by answering my posts
this way, you should know:
Absolutely irrelevant. So far you completely lost your chances to
impart morality.

Re: Need to buy a Grid component, TOP 3?

paladin writes:
caveat emptor - qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

fyi
pal
Of course.
Fortunately, the SortGrid method isn't responsible for repainting the
title bars, so if you leave this to SBDBGrid and use ClientDataSet
Grid's CDS sorting functionality (some assembly required), then you get
the best of both worlds. If there's a more functional free
alternative, I would like to see it.
Oh, and here's another small gotcha with the ClientDataSet Grid. it
doesn't have a Register procedure.
tinyurl.com/8lhj9
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Re: Need to buy a Grid component, TOP 3?

Eric Schreiber <"eric at kobayashi dot com">writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
Of all the opportunities in my recent posts, this was the one you
selected for a childish and pointless attack? Are you having trouble
keeping up with your newsgroup reading or are you just losing your edge?
I guess this is what happens when I am not around to draw their fire.
--
Everything in this post is mere opinion.
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.1089

Re: Need to buy a Grid component, TOP 3?

Which is not to say that it is buggy, but I sleep sounder with a smaller
code base :)
and I sleep sounder with less bugs in my code :-)

Re: Need to buy a Grid component, TOP 3?

Orpheus... I haven't used it for quite a while but at a different job five
years (an
eternity) ago, we used the commercial version which was outstanding.
Gotta say that there is really no comparison with it and modern grids. I
always found it difficult to work with and the features that have come out
in the last 5 years in any 3rd party commercial grid is quite stunning.
Ed Dressel

Re: Need to buy a Grid component, TOP 3?

Because sometimes that hypothetical advantage
in a hypothetical conversation... it is not relevant :-)
If you need it, use it; if you don't need it, why not use a more
lightweight component?
1) because of familiarity of using it--knowning one component very well
verses numberous components okay.
2) because your users will know the nuances of working with the controls.
3) because the standalone editors of the Express Quantum Grid act just like
the editors in the grid
et al.

John Jacobson aka Captain Jake writes:
I guess this is what happens when I am not around to draw their fire.
No more vacations for you, then. There's only so much sad foolishness I
can handle.

Ed Dressel writes:
1) because of familiarity of using it--knowning one component very
well verses numberous components okay. 2) because your users will
know the nuances of working with the controls. 3) because the
standalone editors of the Express Quantum Grid act just like the
editors in the grid
That has never been a problem for me, but I agree, if you use a lot of
bells and whistles you are better married to DevExpress for the rest of
your life :-)

paladin writes:
caveat emptor - qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
Thanks for the reminder. I believe I fixed this a while ago. Can anyone
test it with the latest grid?
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Bruce McGee writes:
Oh, and here's another small gotcha with the ClientDataSet Grid. it
doesn't have a Register procedure.

tinyurl.com/8lhj9
It shouldn't. But I suppose I can put the register procedure in the
package. Maybe I will find some time today to look at this. (Light day in
Bangkok.)
--

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
It shouldn't. But I suppose I can put the register procedure in the
package. Maybe I will find some time today to look at this. (Light day
in Bangkok.)
I understand that it is part of a larger set of components, but if it's
published as a stand alone component, it should be self contained
without the end user having to tweak it.
In any event, it is a small thing. It just threw me a little when I
installed it and I wanted to give a heads up.
And thanks for the component.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Re: Need to buy a Grid component, TOP 3?

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
Bangkok
Newsgroups for breakfast?
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: Need to buy a Grid component, TOP 3?

Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
Newsgroups for breakfast?
Yeah, didn't want to be too hungry :P
--

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
Yeah, didn't want to be too hungry :P
Are you saying this place puts you off your food? ;-)
--
Cheers,
David Clegg