Re: Something Delphi does better than VS

2006-10-12 03:27:08 PM
delphi191
>Well, I don't appreciate you implying that I am a simpleton.

And I don't appreciate Microsoft assuming I am a simpleton and forcing me
to use their application in only one manner.
I don't see why think your disappointment with MS gives you the right to
insult me.

Re: Something Delphi does better than VS

David Clegg writes:
I have absolutely no experience with this exception whatsoever. I was
simply commenting on the perceived absurdity of an "Everything is
fine" exception being raised. Reading the article seems to indicate
that this isn't the case with this particular exception.
Correct. It is not an "everything is fine" as many assume it is.
www.KudzuWorld.com/
Need a professional technical speaker at your event? See www.woo-hoo.net

David Clegg writes:
I have absolutely no experience with this exception whatsoever. I was
simply commenting on the perceived absurdity of an "Everything is
fine" exception being raised. Reading the article seems to indicate
that this isn't the case with this particular exception.
It is however "normal". :)
www.KudzuWorld.com/
Need a professional technical speaker at your event? See www.woo-hoo.net

Re: Something Delphi does better than VS

Andre Kaufmann writes:
Yes, never needed to do that before. I have added
MyNamespace.MyException activated all exceptions, disabled
MyNamespace.MyException and VS didn't stop on that exception. Could
you give me a hint, what is broken ?
When adding a single exception it can be tricky. You need to know the
full namespace which is not always easy to obtain. In fact often you
have to work to even find out what the exception name is itself. And I
think also the dialog is case sensitive... in short, its very easy to
not get what you want. There should be a "browse" dialog that browses
the classes.
Why ? Sure you can pass a state with an exception. No problem, if it
is an error or occuring only regularly. But if the exception is
created 2000 times a second I wouldn't use an exception to pass it.
And I never said you should. In fact I never said you should even pass
state with it. None the less at a user request I updated the article to
add somethings I didnt plan to cover before.
With permanently I don't mean regulary, I mean passing simple states
which should be return values at a high frequency.
You shouldnt *pass* state. To me passing state implies passing values.
Its used to signal an event/state and alter program flow.
See update:
www.kudzuworld.com/blogs/tech/2006_10_11.en.aspx

David Clegg writes:
Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software] writes:

>One exception I was never happy with was the infamous
>"Everything is fine, nothing to see here" exception thrown in Indy.

Hehe! Reminds me of Homer Simpson's 'Everything is OK' alarm, which
emits a loud high pitched squeak every few seconds to let you know all
is well. :-)
The message in IdStack.pas, for TIdStack.RaiseSocketError,
is not less entertaining:
==============
If you get a 10038 exception here, and HAVE NOT read the FAQ
and ask about this in the public forums you will be publicly
flogged, tarred and feathered and your name added to every
chain letter in existence today.
==============
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>Hehe! Reminds me of Homer Simpson's 'Everything is OK' alarm, which
>emits a loud high pitched squeak every few seconds to let you know
>all is well. :-)

The message in IdStack.pas, for TIdStack.RaiseSocketError,
is not less entertaining:

==============
If you get a 10038 exception here, and HAVE NOT read the FAQ
and ask about this in the public forums you will be publicly
flogged, tarred and feathered and your name added to every
chain letter in existence today.
==============
Before that messages was there there was something much kinder. Yet
people never bothered to check the FAQ, search, NOTHING. Half the
messages were people asking about this.
The sternness relaxed people and made them think "Hey, I really should
check the FAQ and not be ultra lazy and just press New Message"
IIRC it also has more information in addition to that, or at least used
to.

Bryce K. Nielsen writes:
>I stretch VS across 2 monitors and it completely covers the client area of
>both, why is that poor?

That's a HORRIBLE way to use any desktop

Indeed!
The whole docking thing is absolutely fabulously implemented in VS, IMHO. But why can not I drag an editor window outside the
IDE window so that it will be wrapped in a new docking container? (IE on the 2nd monitor)
I'm afraid this is the same as with missing code completion for (cough) TSQL, the microsofties didn't even see that would be
a nice feature.
In BDS there's at least the "new edit window" thinging. But BDS doesn't let you split the docking container to allow 2
editors in the same window.

assuming the user is a simpleton and only wants to view one piece of information at one time.

I think they think their users are as simpleton as those who decide things like this.
See their record of incredibly bad SqlServer management tools.
They may have had hundreds of code monkeys working on it, but until today, they don't even have code completion for TSQL.

Chad Z. Hower writes:
Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>==============
>If you get a 10038 exception here, and HAVE NOT read the FAQ
>and ask about this in the public forums you will be publicly
>flogged, tarred and feathered and your name added to every
>chain letter in existence today.
>==============

The sternness relaxed people and made them think "Hey, I really should
check the FAQ and not be ultra lazy and just press New Message"
Yes, but *some* people must have suffered the described punishment? :)
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
Yes, but some people must have suffered the described punishment? :)
No, but it certainly was tempting a few times. Instead, later on it
lead to this:
www.kudzuworld.com/indy/qna.aspx
Most Indy users are wonderful appreciative, or at least respectul
people. But just as in the disucssion about "Some users are idiots, and
some users are pure idiots" the same problem exists with Open source.
Some users are completley rude ungrateful noisy pigs. Fortunately is a
very very small percentage, but they are exceptionally stubborn.

Chad Z. Hower writes:
Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>Yes, but some people must have suffered the described punishment? :)

No, but it certainly was tempting a few times. Instead, later on it
lead to this:
www.kudzuworld.com/indy/qna.aspx
Man, you are productive..
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>No, but it certainly was tempting a few times. Instead, later on it
>lead to this:
>www.kudzuworld.com/indy/qna.aspx

Man, you are productive..
That is several years old BTW. And beleive me - every bit of it was
needed. There are some users - who just no matter what expect you to
provide them dedicated support for free. One got Hadi's mobile number
and used to call him in the middle of the night wtih "urgent" problems.
This page helped defuse most of the problem cases - it put things in
perspective, if albeit forcefully. And the 99.99% normal users liked it
too.

Chad Z. Hower writes:
This page helped defuse most of the problem cases
It was the threat of being feathered that held me back
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>This page helped defuse most of the problem cases

It was the threat of being feathered that held me back
Dont worry, there is a tar shortage right now.
www.KudzuWorld.com/
Need a professional technical speaker at your event? See www.woo-hoo.net

Re: Something Delphi does better than VS

Bob Dawson writes:
"Chad Z. Hower" wrote

>IIRC there is a splitter.

Yep, but not the same. When I am refactoring or deriving a descendent class
or the like, I often want to look at one file while working in another. In
BDS I can do that easily.
Maybe I am missing something, but don't Tab Groups in VS allow you to do
exactly that?
H^2

Harold Howe [TeamB] writes:
Bob Dawson writes:
>"Chad Z. Hower" wrote
>
>>IIRC there is a splitter.
>

>Yep, but not the same. When I am refactoring or deriving a
>descendent class or the like, I often want to look at one file
>while working in another. In BDS I can do that easily.

Maybe I am missing something, but don't Tab Groups in VS allow you to
do exactly that?
Yes, you can. OTOH, you cannot have the same file open in two windows,
as you can in Delphi, and that is a feature on miss in VS when gotten
used to it in Delphi.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com