Re: Highlander question - Win32/.Net

2007-08-30 08:54:32 PM
delphi96
"Mick Board" writes:

However, the question I am asking myself daily is if the major players are
seeing the future of the Microsoft Platform as .Net, where is that going
to leave things in a few years time?
Not too different than now...

Re: Highlander question - Win32/.Net

Jaakko Salmenius a écrit :
- Native code is always faster than .NET code
This is simply not true. There are some areas where .NET code is even
faster. Google is your friend.
Joanna
--
Joanna Carter [TeamB]
Consultant Software Engineer

Re: Highlander question - Win32/.Net

You can't mix WinForms and VCL.NET. If you use standard .NET WinForms
component you can't use VCL.NET. If you use VCL.NET you can't use .NET's
UI components but you have to to VCL.NET components. It is very likely that
for every VCL.NET component there is native VCL component. However there are
many native VCL component that do not have VCL.NET components.
Jaakko

Joanna Carter [TeamB] writes:
Jaakko Salmenius a écrit :

>- Native code is always faster than .NET code

This is simply not true. There are some areas where .NET code is even
faster. Google is your friend.

Joanna
Can you give just one example? I can understand that .NET will be as fast
as native code but how can it be faster?
rgds
Ed.

Re: Highlander question - Win32/.Net

Joanna Carter [TeamB] formulated on Πέμπτη :
Jaakko Salmenius a écrit :

>- Native code is always faster than .NET code

This is simply not true. There are some areas where .NET code is even faster.
Google is your friend.

Joanna
Riiiiight and pigs can fly as well.

Ed Weatherup a écrit :
Can you give just one example? I can understand that .NET will be as fast
as native code but how can it be faster?
www.grimes.demon.co.uk/dotnet/man_unman.htm
Joanna
--

"Joanna Carter [TeamB]" writes:

>Riiiiight and pigs can fly as well.

In that case, the price of bacon just went up; see my reply to Ed :-)
Lets just hope the price of dietary crow doesn't go up. :)

Re: Highlander question - Win32/.Net

Mick Board writes:
Does this work the same way if we were going to open our Delphi 7
source code in Highlander?
Yes -- if you open a DPR file in Highlander, and if you have both the
Win32 and .Net personalities loaded, it will ask if you want to make it
a VCL for Win32 or a VCL for .Net project.
Further to this, if we chose Win32 initially and the source is
converted to be used as a Highlander Win 32 application, is there a
way of converting this to a VCL.Net application down the track if we
needed to go .Net?
Yes -- same as above.
We are continually making enhancements to our product. Our product
interacts with things like Crystal Reports. There may come a time
where we need to cut across to a VCL.Net version. If we were to go
with Win 32 on Highlander initially, is there any way to change the
current project to VCL.Net down the track? Or are we locked into
whichever one we chose initially?
THere is no VCL version of Crystal Reports, so I am not sure how that
will work for you, since I am not familiar with your application.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

yannis writes:
Riiiiight and pigs can fly as well.
.Net code is compiled to machine code when executed.
--

Joanna Carter [TeamB] writes:
yannis a écrit :

>Riiiiight and pigs can fly as well.

In that case, the price of bacon just went up; see my reply to Ed :-)

Joanna
Yes but ....
... I don't understand how "CLR compiled to native object code by .NET" can
run faster than native object code assembled by hand.
Ed.

Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
yannis writes:

>Riiiiight and pigs can fly as well.

.Net code is compiled to machine code when executed.
Which is my problem with the assertion: Once you get down to real code at
processor level, how can .NET be faster?
Ed.

Re: Highlander question - Win32/.Net

Frank,
| No one needed a .NET 101 speech :)
Uhhh,... not true. I definitely need one... or several. <g>
(Thanks Joanna!)
--
Q <What's .NET?>
08/30/2007 09:31:04

Re: Highlander question - Win32/.Net

"Ray Porter" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"Frank J" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>Gee wiz!!
>No one needed a .NET 101 speech :)

Actually, I rather appreciated Joanna's comments.

As Did I... my world is almost exclusively Win32, ISAPI, and handheld
OSs... so the tidbits on differences (and in the case of generics...
advantages) of .NET were a good read.
Ray Porter

Ed Weatherup a écrit :
... I don't understand how "CLR compiled to native object code by .NET" can
run faster than native object code assembled by hand.
One of the factors involved is the fact that .NET code is intrinsically
"safe" and does not need the runtime bounds checking that "native" code
does.
Joanna
--

Ed Weatherup schrieb:
Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
>yannis writes:
>
>>Riiiiight and pigs can fly as well.
>.Net code is compiled to machine code when executed.

Which is my problem with the assertion: Once you get down to real code at
processor level, how can .NET be faster?

Ed.

It would be faster if the just in time compiler would create better
optimized code out of the .NET CLR code than the Delphi compiler out of
the pas-code or if .NET provides some faster library routines than VCL.
Greetings
Markus