DLLs: How do I add a Copyright Notice?

I just created my first few DLLs.
I need to embed a Copyright notice comparable to C++ .def file's
  DESCRIPTION  'Copyright(C) ... '
In Delphi I tried:  const copyright='Copyright(C) ... '
but it apparently got optimized out as unreferenced.
I don't want to add an extra function or execute an ':=' assignment.
Any ideas?  ...Dave

Re:DLLs: How do I add a Copyright Notice?

In the DPR, add the following ....

{$D SuperFantastic DLL V1.0 Copyright 1996 MegaProgrammer Corp, All Rights
Reserved in the Known Universe}

oldtran...@aol.com (OldTransAm) wrote:
>I just created my first few DLLs.
>I need to embed a Copyright notice comparable to C++ .def file's
>  DESCRIPTION  'Copyright(C) ... '
>In Delphi I tried:  const copyright='Copyright(C) ... '
>but it apparently got optimized out as unreferenced.
>I don't want to add an extra function or execute an ':=' assignment.
>Any ideas?  ...Dave

Use {$D This is my copyright }.

{$D} is described in the online help and should only be used once in a
program. (Well, what else does one expect ???)

Stefan

Re:DLLs: How do I add a Copyright Notice?

In article <4ehkoq$...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
   oldtran...@aol.com (OldTransAm) wrote:
>I just created my first few DLLs.
>I need to embed a Copyright notice comparable to C++ .def file's
>  DESCRIPTION  'Copyright(C) ... '
>In Delphi I tried:  const copyright='Copyright(C) ... '
>but it apparently got optimized out as unreferenced.
>I don't want to add an extra function or execute an ':=' assignment.
>Any ideas?  ...Dave

You will need to create a resource file with a version info object and add it
to your dll project, you will need a tool like resource workshop

Regards

Vincent Parrett

Albury, NSW, Australia                   \\\\//// ||||
Email: vparr...@albury.net.au             \\\///  ||||
Web : http://www.albury.net.au/~vparrett   \\//   ||

In article <4emi8u$2ag_...@albury.net.au> vparr...@albury.net.au (Vincent Parrett) writes:
>You will need to create a resource file with a version info object and add it
>to your dll project, you will need a tool like resource workshop

VERSIONINFO resources are the best way because there are tools, e.g. in
Windows for Workgroups, that will scan executables for these resources and
bring up version-summaries for them.  There are also components on the Web
that will generate these for you without Resource Workshop.  (Although, IMHO,
Workshop is a terrific tool and it's in Turbo C++ and the like ... $99 or less
.... also to be included in Developer's edition of Delphi 2.0.  Sure, it
shoulda been included in Delphi 1.0 but that's the past now.)

I believe that to comply with the "notice" provisions of the law you need to
have something also that is -visible- either when the program starts up (on
the splash screen) or while the program's running.  Placing notice on the
"About" box has also become customary...  both "Splash" and "About" should
cover the bases nicely.  Incidentally, this will put visible text into the
executable as well.

For DLL files, which might not have a visible component, then VERSIONINFO
statements would be preferred for the WFW3.11 reasons given above.

/mr/

Re:DLLs: How do I add a Copyright Notice?

Parrett) writes:

>>You will need to create a resource file with a version info object and add
>>it to your dll project, you will need a tool like resource workshop

>VERSIONINFO resources are the best way because there are tools, e.g. in
>Windows for Workgroups, that will scan executables for these resources and

[snip]

There is also the compiler directive $D.  It allows you to embed any text you
want into the 'hidden' module description which is visible only with tools
such as TDUMP.  It may only be used once per module, typically in your project
source window.  Use it like so:

{$D Copyright (c) 1996 SomeSuperCompany - All Rights Reserved}

// David S. Becker                     ADP Dealer Services (Plaza R&D)
// d...@plaza.ds.adp.com                                  (503)402-3236

Other Threads