Where's the bottleneck?

"Sierra Spartacus" <theZanyTimeTravelsOfWarbleMcGor...@warble.mcgorkle>
wrote in message news:3e957baa$1@newsgroups.borland.com...

> I finally moved into the 21st century with an upgrade from dialup to cable
> modem. Logging on is faster; uploading/downloading files is (very) much
> faster. However, web sites don't seem to load any faster. Is it my
graphics
> card, or...?

That's because, while the download speed might be better, the latency isn't
necessarily. And web pages usually consist of a lot of small files...

Re:Where's the bottleneck?

--

Clay Shannon, author of "the Wacky Misadventures of Warble McGorkle"
(download it at http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?12500000036639)

Re:Where's the bottleneck?

The server that host the site may be slow.  Try many different big sites.
Try the web site of your provider.
Your graphic card has nothing to do with it.

"Sierra Spartacus" <theZanyTimeTravelsOfWarbleMcGor...@warble.mcgorkle> a
crit dans le message de news: 3e957ba__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i?a63jfAD$z__@newsgroups.borland.com...

Frederic Gelinas wrote:
> Your graphic card has nothing to do with it.

        I wouldn't state this definitively.

        I recently upgraded my home machine from a 120 MHz Pentium to a 2.4
GHz Pentium IV with a much faster graphics card and much more memoyr.
Both machines access the internet via a cable modem.

several reasons for this, and while the CPU has more to do with it than
the graphics card, both are involved.  JavaScript and JPEG rendering
are visibly faster on the new machine, so pages which use a lot of
scripting or many images are rendered dramatically faster.

        Yes, the web server may be a substantial bottleneck, depending upon
what you're connecting to.  But it is not correct to say that local
hardware has nothing to do with it.

        -Craig

Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase Perf. Monitor : http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPerformanceMonitor
InterBase PLANalyzer 1.1: http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Re:Where's the bottleneck?

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
> I recently upgraded my home machine from a 120 MHz Pentium to a 2.4
> GHz Pentium IV with a much faster graphics card and much more memoyr.

[..]

> But it is not correct to say that local
> hardware has nothing to do with it.

OTOH, your upgrade is like going from a bicycle to an airplane :)

--

Ingvar Nilsen

Re:Where's the bottleneck?

Try this at a command prompt:

ipconfig /flushdns

You can also try connecting to a different and faster DNS server for DNS
lookups than the default from your ISP.  For example, at my office where
  I have an AT&T cable-modem, the raw connection speed is faster than
the at home where I have an Adelphi cable-modem, but the DNS latency is
longer (slower).

"Richard Grossman" <usenetuserDELETETHISP...@techIII.com> wrote in message

> Try this at a command prompt:

> ipconfig /flushdns

What does it exactly do?

> I have an Adelphi cable-modem

Very adequate :)

Re:Where's the bottleneck?

damian marquez wrote:
> "Richard Grossman" <usenetuserDELETETHISP...@techIII.com> wrote in message

>>Try this at a command prompt:

>>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows keeps some DNS routing in a table.  FlushDNS cleans it out and
Windows will then look up everything as though it's a first-time request.

> Windows keeps some DNS routing in a table.  FlushDNS cleans it out and
> Windows will then look up everything as though it's a first-time request.

Thanks Richard!

Other Threads