DirectX question

I know this isn't graphics related but there is a bit of DirectX discussion
here so I was hoping someone could help.

I'm trying to read what key was pressed using DirectInput.  I need to be
able to convert the return into a string or integer so I can use it for
other stuff.

Mainform.didev.GetDeviceStateKeyboard(state);

I need to know the value of State.key and put it into a string or int to do
other things with it.  The State.Key is returned as an array and I can't
figure out how to get it to a string.

I can't use GetAsyncKeyState because of the nature of what I'm trying to do,
but it worked fine using the virtual keycodes with  that.  Will the
State.Key return the DInput key codes or the numeric values? (i e DIK_ESCAPE
= 1)

Thanks for the help.

Bobby