Problems with BDE and Oracle8 !

We are using the BDE (Version 5.11) and the corresponding SQL-Links to
connect
to an Oracle-Server (Oracle8) from Delphi 4 C/S.
The developed application is able to connect to the database and runs very
well.

But after a certain time the connection to the server aborts and the
following error from the database occurs:
'ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel' !

Often the error occurs after a full table scan when a dataset is updated
before by the same
application. We use the right DLL and Vendor Init for Oracle8 (sqlora8.dll
and oci.dll) and the configiuration in the
BDE seems to be correct.

Has anybody a error like this?
Has anybody an idea what could be the reason or where is the problem  ?

Any help or hint will be welcome.
Ronny B?rwinkel / Germany

Re:Problems with BDE and Oracle8 !

This is normally caused by a fault in the TCP/IP connection.  This is a
network issue, not an application issue.

John Pierce

Re:Problems with BDE and Oracle8 !

Hi

As John pointed out, this is a problem of Oracle's client-server
communication.
Once I stumbled upon this problem and after some research I found that it
was caused by a mistyped select.
It didn't raise an exception or something, but it caused your error. If I
remember it is one of Oracle's string function that in some cases can cause
this. So, I recommend you to keep a SQL log and see the last statement.

Miha

"Ronny B?rwinkel" <rbaerwin...@tourisline.de> wrote in message

> We are using the BDE (Version 5.11) and the corresponding SQL-Links to
> connect
> to an Oracle-Server (Oracle8) from Delphi 4 C/S.
> The developed application is able to connect to the database and runs very
> well.

> But after a certain time the connection to the server aborts and the
> following error from the database occurs:
> 'ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel' !

> Often the error occurs after a full table scan when a dataset is updated
> before by the same
> application. We use the right DLL and Vendor Init for Oracle8 (sqlora8.dll
> and oci.dll) and the configiuration in the
> BDE seems to be correct.

> Has anybody a error like this?
> Has anybody an idea what could be the reason or where is the problem  ?

> Any help or hint will be welcome.
> Ronny B?rwinkel / Germany

Other Threads