Board index » delphi » Build Index for MS Access 97 Table

Build Index for MS Access 97 Table

Hi, using Delphi 5.  Trying to build a small Delphi data transfer utility to
transfer DBF data to Tables in a MS Access 97 Application.  I can actually
get it to work fine in Delphi using the MSACCESS BDE Driver, except I need
an index on one of the Access tables to speed up the transfer process.  How
can I programmatically in Delphi build an index "on the fly" on the Access
Table and then Delete the Index when I'm done.....?

Thanks!

Richard Wakeman
wake...@adelphia.net

 

Re:Build Index for MS Access 97 Table


I'd be very surprised if adding an index would "speed it up," since in most
cases the process of updating indexes slows things down considerably.  

You can indeed issue SQL commands to add an index to a table, and to drop
the index again.

I suggest, however, that you prove your assumptions as early as possible, by
actual stress-tests.

Quote
Richard Wakeman wrote:
> Hi, using Delphi 5.  Trying to build a small Delphi data transfer utility
> to
> transfer DBF data to Tables in a MS Access 97 Application.  I can actually
> get it to work fine in Delphi using the MSACCESS BDE Driver, except I need
> an index on one of the Access tables to speed up the transfer process.
> How can I programmatically in Delphi build an index "on the fly" on the
> Access Table and then Delete the Index when I'm done.....?

----------------------------------
Fast automatic table repair at a click of a mouse!
http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

Re:Build Index for MS Access 97 Table


Well sure an index would speed it up.  On the Table that I want the index,
I'm not adding or changing any data on it - just searching it.  I want to be
able to use the SetKey instead of Locate.....!

Yes, I know that SQL is a why, I guess, but I'm dumb....   How exactly?
Syntax..., Etc....

Thanks

Richard Wakeman

Quote
"Sundial Services" <info_...@sundialservices.com> wrote in message

news:v8mvof5pi5no15@corp.supernews.com...
Quote
> I'd be very surprised if adding an index would "speed it up," since in
most
> cases the process of updating indexes slows things down considerably.

> You can indeed issue SQL commands to add an index to a table, and to drop
> the index again.

> I suggest, however, that you prove your assumptions as early as possible,
by
> actual stress-tests.

> Richard Wakeman wrote:
> > Hi, using Delphi 5.  Trying to build a small Delphi data transfer
utility
> > to
> > transfer DBF data to Tables in a MS Access 97 Application.  I can
actually
> > get it to work fine in Delphi using the MSACCESS BDE Driver, except I
need
> > an index on one of the Access tables to speed up the transfer process.
> > How can I programmatically in Delphi build an index "on the fly" on the
> > Access Table and then Delete the Index when I'm done.....?

> ----------------------------------
> Fast automatic table repair at a click of a mouse!
> http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

Other Threads