Portable database

Hello ,

Does anybody know if I can use Delphi 5, Enterprise version to create an
application which will use a database in a portable form , will be
distributed with the application ? I think there was an option to create
a database and install a dll  but I have not done it and I do not know
where to start. Can anybody help? I am not interested on thied party
products. I want to to use only Delphi and database components which
come with Delphi 5 Enterprise. If somebody can point me to the right
direction or send me and example I will  appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Re:Portable database

You can use the SaveToFile and LoadFromFile methods of TClientDataset
assuming the tables are not too large and the application is single user.

--
Bill

Re:Portable database

Thanks Bill,

Do you know if I need the BDE to be installed to use the TClientDataset?
Also do you know any site where I can see some examples and get started?

Thanks again,

Nick

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" wrote:
> You can use the SaveToFile and LoadFromFile methods of TClientDataset
> assuming the tables are not too large and the application is single user.

> --
> Bill
> (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Re:Portable database

No, you do not need the BDE. You can either distribute MIDAS.DLL with your
app or compile MIDASLIB into your app and just distribute the EXE. There is
a lot of information about TClientDataSet in the Delphi Developer's Guide. I
believe there are also some articles on the Community site. Search for
ClientdataSet or MyBase.

--
Bill

Re:Portable database

"Nick Tentomas" <Ntent...@CSBFACMGT.CSBFM.DAL.CA> wrote in message

> Thanks Bill,

> Do you know if I need the BDE to be installed to use the TClientDataset?
> Also do you know any site where I can see some examples and get started?

Other Threads