code to launch an another exe via my delphi program

hi,

I use Borland ,and I don't know what the source code to launch an another
exe via my delphi program ?
S.o gave me 'ShellExecute' but I did found nothing about this in the help

thanks

Re:code to launch an another exe via my delphi program

ShellExecute is a Windows API function, add ShellApi to the uses clause to
use this function, below is a copy from the win32.hlp file. You can also use
the WinExec.

The ShellExecute function opens or prints a specified file. The file can be
an executable file or a document file. See ShellExecuteEx also.

HINSTANCE ShellExecute(

    HWND hwnd, // handle to parent window
    LPCTSTR lpOperation, // pointer to string that specifies operation to
perform
    LPCTSTR lpFile, // pointer to filename or folder name string
    LPCTSTR lpParameters, // pointer to string that specifies
executable-file parameters
    LPCTSTR lpDirectory, // pointer to string that specifies default
directory
    INT nShowCmd  // whether file is shown when opened
   );

Parameters

hwnd

Specifies a parent window. This window receives any message boxes that an
application produces. For example, an application may report an error by
producing a message box.

lpOperation

Pointer to a null-terminated string that specifies the operation to perform.
The following operation strings are valid:

String Meaning
"open" The function opens the file specified by lpFile. The file can be an
executable file or a document file. The file can be a folder to open.
"print" The function prints the file specified by lpFile. The file should be
a document file. If the file is an executable file, the function opens the
file, as if "open" had been specified.
"explore" The function explores the folder specified by lpFile.

The lpOperation parameter can be NULL. In that case, the function opens the
file specified by lpFile.

lpFile

Pointer to a null-terminated string that specifies the file to open or print
or the folder to open or explore. The function can open an executable file
or a document file. The function can print a document file.

lpParameters

If lpFile specifies an executable file, lpParameters is a pointer to a
null-terminated string that specifies parameters to be passed to the
application.
If lpFile specifies a document file, lpParameters should be NULL.

lpDirectory

Pointer to a null-terminated string that specifies the default directory.

nShowCmd

If lpFile specifies an executable file, nShowCmd specifies how the
application is to be shown when it is opened.  This parameter can be one of
the following values:

Value Meaning
SW_HIDE Hides the window and activates another window.
SW_MAXIMIZE Maximizes the specified window.
SW_MINIMIZE Minimizes the specified window and activates the next top-level
window in the Z order.
SW_RESTORE Activates and displays the window. If the window is minimized or
maximized, Windows restores it to its original size and position. An
application should specify this flag when restoring a minimized window.
SW_SHOW Activates the window and displays it in its current size and
position.
SW_SHOWDEFAULT Sets the show state based on the SW_ flag specified in the
STARTUPINFO structure passed to the CreateProcess function by the program
that started the application. An application should call ShowWindow with
this flag to set the initial show state of its main window.
SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED Activates the window and displays it as a maximized window.
SW_SHOWMINIMIZED Activates the window and displays it as a minimized window.
SW_SHOWMINNOACTIVE Displays the window as a minimized window. The active
window remains active.
SW_SHOWNA Displays the window in its current state. The active window
remains active.
SW_SHOWNOACTIVATE Displays a window in its most recent size and position.
The active window remains active.
SW_SHOWNORMAL Activates and displays a window. If the window is minimized or
maximized, Windows restores it to its original size and position. An
application should specify this flag when displaying the window for the
first time.

If lpFile specifies a document file, nShowCmd should be zero.

Return Values

If the function succeeds, the return value is the instance handle of the
application that was run, or the handle of a dynamic data exchange (DDE)
server application.
If the function fails, the return value is an error value that is less than
or equal to 32. The following table lists these error values:

Value Meaning
0 The operating system is out of memory or resources.
ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND The specified file was not found.
ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND The specified path was not found.
ERROR_BAD_FORMAT The .EXE file is invalid (non-Win32 .EXE or error in .EXE
image).
SE_ERR_ACCESSDENIED The operating system denied access to the specified
file.
SE_ERR_ASSOCINCOMPLETE The filename association is incomplete or invalid.
SE_ERR_DDEBUSY The DDE transaction could not be completed because other DDE
transactions were being processed.
SE_ERR_DDEFAIL The DDE transaction failed.
SE_ERR_DDETIMEOUT The DDE transaction could not be completed because the
request timed out.
SE_ERR_DLLNOTFOUND The specified dynamic-link library was not found.
SE_ERR_FNF The specified file was not found.
SE_ERR_NOASSOC There is no application associated with the given filename
extension.
SE_ERR_OOM There was not enough memory to complete the operation.
SE_ERR_PNF The specified path was not found.
SE_ERR_SHARE A sharing violation occurred.

Remarks

The file specified by the lpFile parameter can be a document file or an
executable file. If the file is a document file, the ShellExecute function
opens or prints it, depending on the value of the lpOperation parameter. If
the file is an executable file, the ShellExecute function opens it, even if
lpOperation specifies printing.
You can use ShellExecute to open or explore a shell folder. To open a
folder, use either of the following calls:

ShellExecute(handle, NULL, path_to_folder, NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

or

ShellExecute(handle, "open", path_to_folder, NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

To explore a folder, use the following call:

ShellExecute(handle, "explore", path_to_folder, NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

If lpOperation is NULL, the function opens the file specified by lpFile. If
lpOperation is "open" or "explore", the function will force an open window
or explorer.

See Also

FindExecutable, ShellExecuteEx

"laurent T" <Tran...@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message

> hi,

> I use Borland ,and I don't know what the source code to launch an another
> exe via my delphi program ?
> S.o gave me 'ShellExecute' but I did found nothing about this in the help

> thanks

Re:code to launch an another exe via my delphi program

thanks a lot for your precious help, ronald!

Re:code to launch an another exe via my delphi program

it's a windows api function.

> hi,

> I use Borland ,and I don't know what the source code to launch an another
> exe via my delphi program ?
> S.o gave me 'ShellExecute' but I did found nothing about this in the help

> thanks

Re:code to launch an another exe via my delphi program

Why not be old fashioned !

  { Try to Run It }
  i := WinExec( PChar(Target), sw_Show ) ; {CreateProcess is repotedly
dodgy in D4}
  If i <= 31 Then
     Begin
     S := 'ERROR - Failed to start:' + #13 +  Target ;
     MessageBox( 0, PChar(S), PChar(ExeName + ' - BootStrap Loader'),
MB_PARAMS ) ;
  End;

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:09:19 +0100, "laurent T" <Tran...@wanadoo.fr>
wrote:

>hi,

>I use Borland ,and I don't know what the source code to launch an another
>exe via my delphi program ?
>S.o gave me 'ShellExecute' but I did found nothing about this in the help

>thanks

Other Threads