Borland SEs as Developers

Greetings.  I manage the SEs for Borland for the US and I just returned
from a wonderful vacation.  As a result, I'm a bit late in responding to
Mr. Bradshaw's questions regarding Borland SEs working as developers.
As I recall, Larry, you had similar concerns a couple of years ago with
another DC area SE.  My response remains consistent and for the benefit
of those in this news group who may have read this thread I will respond
to the questions in your original message:

> I hear that Louis Klieman,  a Borland SE,  and the highest ranking Borland SE on the East Coast (USA) has gone to work for Financial

Dynamics,  a developer firm.

DLM: Alas, this is true.  Louis has been a wonderful SE for nearly 5
years at Borland.  But the travel caught up with him, I think, (he has
two kids under 5 years old) and FD did present him with a wonderful
opportunity.  I truly hated losing Louis but he promises he will
continue to work towards Delphi achieving world domination <G>.

> How do serious Client/Server developer shops,  who probably entrusted significant, confidential and highly detailed technical information,  as

mine did,  feel about this?  Should we conclude that this is a chance,
one-time, offer he could not refuse situation?  Or is it more probable
that he in fact worked for Financial Dynamics for months,  or even
years,  quietly offering what I view as a competitor firm every
technical assistance he could?

DLM: On Louis' behalf I will express shock and amazement if the latter
supposition is even close to being true.  First, Louis would truly be an
amazing individual if he had in fact worked on anything other than the
tasks on which we had him focused.  Second, and more importantly, I have
absolute faith in Louis' honesty and integrity and to think that Louis
would do anything this morally wrong is beyond my imagination.  As for
how "serious Client/Server developer shops" feel about this I can only
speculate that anyone who knows Louis is e{*word*277}d for him to have this
opportunity.

> What is Borland's position,  exactly and specifically,  on Borland SE's working for or as Software Developers?

DLM: We, of course, work closely with our partners to provide whatever
support we can.  In that respect, I suppose you could say we
work FOR software developers.  However, SEs are specifically precluded
from working for ($$) anyone else while they are employed by Borland.
They are also not allowed to do any work that would compete with our
partners UNLESS IT IS CONTRACTED BY BORLAND.  Certainly, there are
instances where customers have asked Borland for assistance (primarily
in training and/or code review) and we sometimes use SEs to fulfill
those requests (most often as part of a software purchase).  But these
are rare.

We ALWAYS prefer to have our partners do this kind of work and view SE
participation as a last resort.  Finally, we do no application
development.

I should also mention that some of the SEs have worked on projects in
their spare time for fun and in doing so, with management approval, have
posted shareware for others to try out.  For example, Randy Haben has a
really nice little utility called TabNotes which is a kind of Notepad on
steroids written in Delphi.

> Does anyone but me perceive an unfair advantage here?  The potential for abuse of confidential information?  The huge profit to be made by

anyone so inclined who happens to get a job as a Borland SE?

DLM: I suspect that Financial Dynamics is hoping that Louis brings with
him an intimate knowledge of Borland that will help them work well with
our company.  Louis, of course, is prevented by his Borland employment
contract from sharing any competitive information and I believe Louis
will hold true to that.  Yes, the potential is there.  But I am
confident in the integrity of my team and if any one of them sought to
profit in such an underhanded way they would be immediately terminated.

Larry, I hope this makes you feel more comfortable.  Again, knowing
Louis Kleiman, and working with him for the last 5 years, I can
confidently say that you will find he is a fierce, but honest
competitor.

Dave Murphy
SE Manager Borland

Re:Borland SEs as Developers

Dave Murphy <dmur...@borland.com> wrote:
>I truly hated losing Louis but he promises he will
>continue to work towards Delphi achieving world domination <G>.
>Dave Murphy

Delphi will never achieve world domination with these {*word*99}py help
files.
-- Tony Goldstein
   tony.goldst...@ipu.com

Dave Murphy wrote:

> Greetings.  I manage the SEs for Borland for the US and I just returned
> from a wonderful vacation.  As a result, I'm a bit late in responding to
> Mr. Bradshaw's questions regarding Borland SEs working as developers.
> As I recall, Larry, you had similar concerns a couple of years ago with
> another DC area SE.  My response remains consistent and for the benefit
> of those in this news group who may have read this thread I will respond
> to the questions in your original message:

> Dave Murphy
> SE Manager Borland

Dave,
  I had the opportunity of working with Louis during Delphi 2.0's rollout.  Just
wanted to affirm your belief in Louis's ability and inegrity.  It was a pleasure
working with him and the entire Borland team.  We now have an entire department
of developers clamouring to get their hands on doing the Delphi applications
development.

--
Jasen M. Fici                  Sequoia Software
Product Manager                5457 Twin Knolls Rd.

Tony Goldstein wrote:

> Dave Murphy <dmur...@borland.com> wrote:

> >I truly hated losing Louis but he promises he will
> >continue to work towards Delphi achieving world domination <G>.

> >Dave Murphy

> Delphi will never achieve world domination with these {*word*99}py help
> files.

  I have a suggestion -- with so many people selling add-ons
to Delphi, why doesn't someone build and sell a help system for
Delphi ;-)  Sounds like a big market.

While it is probably good that Borland get the message that
people do not like the help files, I suspect that the message
HAS been received, and I for one will try to avoid using
bandwidth (in the future) on the subject.

What is wrong with the help system?
   a) It is broken -- links don't work, etc.
   2: It is incomplete -- new stuff is cursorily treated.
   iii, I can't find what I want.
   d- Other complaints.

Borland must surely fix the first and second.  The third is strongly
related to the nature of the language and library.  Once you
know where to look, the information is usually there, but the
problem is that you really need help knowing where to look. --
The biggest problem I have had is getting a working knowledge of
where to put special code:  In a TDBGrid, you expect some event
that tells you when the cursor has moved to a new record, but that
event is triggered by the DataSet, not the Grid.  Once you understand,
it makes sense, but if you don't you spend a lot of time thinking
Delphi can't do this or that ...

 Third party books help a lot, as does the on-line code and
Delphi Informant articles on the CD.

--
Paul Schopf                           mailto://sch...@gsfc.nasa.gov

Other Threads