TEmsStream won't work in protected mode

Hi all,

if i call
   l_EMSStreamObject.Init (a,b) {i.e. a=b=1 }

from within a BP7 PROTECTED MODE program i get an error
saying "couldn't initialize stream" (Handle = 0xFFFF), while in real
mode this works just fine. Errm, l_EMSStreamObject is of course a
TEmsstream Object (ha ha). Do they refuse to work in PM???

Im running this from a winnt- dos box (and yes, mem says there's enough
EMS available)

Any help appreciated, because I got really pissed off by this already/
Thanks in andvance

David

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Re:TEmsStream won't work in protected mode

On Mon, 08 May 2000 16:16:20 GMT, hirnw...@hotmail.com wrote:
> if i call
>    l_EMSStreamObject.Init (a,b) {i.e. a=b=1 }

> from within a BP7 PROTECTED MODE program i get an error

EMS doesn't work in protected mode. It's also unnecessary in protected
mode, since the normal address space is expanded. (16-bit real mode: 1 meg.
16-bit protected mode: (at least) 16 megs.)

--
William McBrine * wmcbr...@clark.net * http://www.clark.net/~wmcbrine/

<hirnw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:8f6p82> Hi all,

> if i call
>    l_EMSStreamObject.Init (a,b) {i.e. a=b=1 }

> from within a BP7 PROTECTED MODE program i get an error
> saying "couldn't initialize stream" (Handle = 0xFFFF), while in real
> mode this works just fine. Errm, l_EMSStreamObject is of course a
> TEmsstream Object (ha ha). Do they refuse to work in PM???

Yes. EMS doesn't exist to protected mode programs. Use the TMemoryStream
instead.

TMemoryStream was a late addition that didn't make it into the Turbo Vision
help file (TVISION.TPH) or the printed docs, but its methods and fields ARE
documented in your ...\BP\DOC\MANUAL.TV file.

--
Jay

Jason Burgon - Author of Graphic Vision
New version 2 now available from:
http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

Re:TEmsStream won't work in protected mode

In article <87IR4.21445$0o4.229...@iad-read.news.verio.net>,
  William McBrine <wmcbr...@clark.net> wrote:
[deletia]

Oh my GOD... i was expecting such an answer. Short, brilliantly simple,
and yet frustrating. %-))

So that means: Today I will be out, drinking. Anybody wanna join a
frustrated wannabe codemaster? Oh... sure... I see...

Thanks a lot, anyway.

David

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.