App creating error on closing in XP, not 2k

Salutations,

  My application runs fine under windows 2k and XP.  It closes without
error  on windows 2k.  However under XP when I close my application I
get an error.  That dialog that says that 'application has encountered
a problem and needs to close'.  This dialog pops up after the main
form has closed.

  My question is 'Does anyone know what I could do to find out what
this error is?'.

Thank you for your help.

Re:App creating error on closing in XP, not 2k

On 20 May 2002 22:37:59 -0700, slashdevn...@mac.com (Dave) waffled on
about something:

>Salutations,

>  My application runs fine under windows 2k and XP.  It closes without
>error  on windows 2k.  However under XP when I close my application I
>get an error.  That dialog that says that 'application has encountered
>a problem and needs to close'.  This dialog pops up after the main
>form has closed.

>  My question is 'Does anyone know what I could do to find out what
>this error is?'.

>Thank you for your help.

Are you using Delphi 5 and a listview in your project by any chance?

Re:App creating error on closing in XP, not 2k

McMahon opens the envelope AND KARNAC IS RIGHT!!!

Amazing.

Yes I am.  And what is even more amazing is that I couldn't remember
what I changed/added between builds that started the crashing.  And it
was changing a UtilMind's TdcFolderListView to show the extensions
because of a display bug.

And I feel like a newbie.  I forgot to post Delphi version and such.

I am using Delphi 5 C/S on Windows 2k.

So Mr. Smarty Pants, and I am saying that COMPLETELY as a compliment
:), any idea how I can fix that?  And if you know what color shirt I
am wearing, I will REALLY be freaked out.  :)

Thank you for the help,
David

Dodgy <Do...@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message <news:iv9keu4q82l020cmko6tooqbjngq9ro97h@4ax.com>...
> On 20 May 2002 22:37:59 -0700, slashdevn...@mac.com (Dave) waffled on
> about something:

> >Salutations,

> >  My application runs fine under windows 2k and XP.  It closes without
> >error  on windows 2k.  However under XP when I close my application I
> >get an error.  That dialog that says that 'application has encountered
> >a problem and needs to close'.  This dialog pops up after the main
> >form has closed.

> >  My question is 'Does anyone know what I could do to find out what
> >this error is?'.

> >Thank you for your help.

> Are you using Delphi 5 and a listview in your project by any chance?

Re:App creating error on closing in XP, not 2k

On 21 May 2002 07:18:06 -0700, slashdevn...@mac.com (Dave) waffled on
about something:

>McMahon opens the envelope AND KARNAC IS RIGHT!!!

>Amazing.

>Yes I am.  And what is even more amazing is that I couldn't remember
>what I changed/added between builds that started the crashing.  And it
>was changing a UtilMind's TdcFolderListView to show the extensions
>because of a display bug.

>And I feel like a newbie.  I forgot to post Delphi version and such.

>I am using Delphi 5 C/S on Windows 2k.

>So Mr. Smarty Pants, and I am saying that COMPLETELY as a compliment
>:), any idea how I can fix that?  And if you know what color shirt I
>am wearing, I will REALLY be freaked out.  :)

It's a known bug, that's how comes I asked it you were using D5 and a
listview... I found it the hard way too!

You need to mod the comstrls.pas unit. I can't take any credit for the
fix, here's a link to the original post (I think it's the original)

http://www.mailgate.org/comp/comp.lang.pascal.delphi.components.misc/...

And I think you are wearing a blue shirt.

FWIW I prefer the virtualtreeview and virtualshelltools for any
non-standard listview type things. Both free.

http://www.delphi-gems.com/VirtualTreeview/VT.html

Dodgy.

Re:App creating error on closing in XP, not 2k

Close, my shirt is grey.

Thank you for the help.  I am looking for virtualshelltools but I
couldn't find it on the virtualtree web site and google couldn't find
it either.

Could I trouble you for a website where I could find it?

Thank you,
David

Dodgy <Do...@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message <news:jhvkeuo9a3ldp9j560nk65djhqjcn10mhd@4ax.com>...
> On 21 May 2002 07:18:06 -0700, slashdevn...@mac.com (Dave) waffled on
> about something:

> >McMahon opens the envelope AND KARNAC IS RIGHT!!!

> >Amazing.

> >Yes I am.  And what is even more amazing is that I couldn't remember
> >what I changed/added between builds that started the crashing.  And it
> >was changing a UtilMind's TdcFolderListView to show the extensions
> >because of a display bug.

> >And I feel like a newbie.  I forgot to post Delphi version and such.

> >I am using Delphi 5 C/S on Windows 2k.

> >So Mr. Smarty Pants, and I am saying that COMPLETELY as a compliment
> >:), any idea how I can fix that?  And if you know what color shirt I
> >am wearing, I will REALLY be freaked out.  :)

> It's a known bug, that's how comes I asked it you were using D5 and a
> listview... I found it the hard way too!

> You need to mod the comstrls.pas unit. I can't take any credit for the
> fix, here's a link to the original post (I think it's the original)

> http://www.mailgate.org/comp/comp.lang.pascal.delphi.components.misc/...

> And I think you are wearing a blue shirt.

> FWIW I prefer the virtualtreeview and virtualshelltools for any
> non-standard listview type things. Both free.

> http://www.delphi-gems.com/VirtualTreeview/VT.html

> Dodgy.

Re:App creating error on closing in XP, not 2k

Salutations,

  If I could trouble you one more time Dodgy.  I edited the
comctrls.pas file like the post said but I am still getting the error.
 I edited the file in the /sourse/vsl/ directory and I copied the
edited file into my program's source directory but I am still getting
the error.

Thank you for your help.

I really appreciate your time,
David

Dodgy <Do...@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message <news:jhvkeuo9a3ldp9j560nk65djhqjcn10mhd@4ax.com>...
> On 21 May 2002 07:18:06 -0700, slashdevn...@mac.com (Dave) waffled on
> about something:

> >McMahon opens the envelope AND KARNAC IS RIGHT!!!

> >Amazing.

> >Yes I am.  And what is even more amazing is that I couldn't remember
> >what I changed/added between builds that started the crashing.  And it
> >was changing a UtilMind's TdcFolderListView to show the extensions
> >because of a display bug.

> >And I feel like a newbie.  I forgot to post Delphi version and such.

> >I am using Delphi 5 C/S on Windows 2k.

> >So Mr. Smarty Pants, and I am saying that COMPLETELY as a compliment
> >:), any idea how I can fix that?  And if you know what color shirt I
> >am wearing, I will REALLY be freaked out.  :)

> It's a known bug, that's how comes I asked it you were using D5 and a
> listview... I found it the hard way too!

> You need to mod the comstrls.pas unit. I can't take any credit for the
> fix, here's a link to the original post (I think it's the original)

> http://www.mailgate.org/comp/comp.lang.pascal.delphi.components.misc/...

> And I think you are wearing a blue shirt.

> FWIW I prefer the virtualtreeview and virtualshelltools for any
> non-standard listview type things. Both free.

> http://www.delphi-gems.com/VirtualTreeview/VT.html

> Dodgy.

Re:App creating error on closing in XP, not 2k

On 21 May 2002 21:21:56 -0700, slashdevn...@mac.com (Dave) waffled on
about something:

>Salutations,

>  If I could trouble you one more time Dodgy.  I edited the
>comctrls.pas file like the post said but I am still getting the error.
> I edited the file in the /sourse/vsl/ directory and I copied the
>edited file into my program's source directory but I am still getting
>the error.

>Thank you for your help.

>I really appreciate your time,

Now we're getting to the tricky bit...

I must admit that when I did it I was very {*word*194}. I recompiled the
dcu and replaced the original with it so I didn't need to keep
remembering to include my modified comctrls.pas in every app.

I know it means that future updates and patches my now work on my
file, or will probably just replace it, but I don't see any updates to
Delphi 5 appearing any time in the future. And if they did, I would
hope they'd fix this bug anyway!

Did you include your comctrls.pas in your project? I think you might
have to.

Dodgy.

Re:App creating error on closing in XP, not 2k

On 21 May 2002 19:14:00 -0700, slashdevn...@mac.com (Dave) waffled on
about something:

>Close, my shirt is grey.

>Thank you for the help.  I am looking for virtualshelltools but I
>couldn't find it on the virtualtree web site and google couldn't find
>it either.

>Could I trouble you for a website where I could find it?

Hi David,

It's supported through a yahoo group. All the files are available
there, and Jim (the author) is a very active poster. He answers most
questions within a couple of hours.