Hang up when using D1 + ODBC + MS SQL Server 6.5

I have a problem with the ODBC driver for MS SQL Server 6.5 when
developing a Delphi 1.0 program.  The program opens a lot of TTable in
one procedure.  In the Windows 95, the program runs fine.  However, it
makes the PC hang in Windows 3.1 / Windows for Workgroup 3.11 when the
14th TTables are being opened.  SQL Link Driver is not used because I
have only the developer version.

I have tried to run the ISQL/w to open more than 20 connections at the
same time, no problem is found.  Then, I used the MS Query to test the
ODBC driver, error message is displayed to say that too may file
handle is opened.  Therefore, I think that the problem may be related
to the 16-bit ODBC driver.

However, I cannot find any documented limition of ODBC related to the
problem.  How many tables are allowed to open in one program?  I think
the ODBC is very up-to-date because it is included in the MS SQL
Server 6.5.

I have also used Norton System Watcher to monitor the usage of system
resources and open file handles, it looks normal.

I am in a big trouble with this problem, can anybody please help me?