Delphi has NO Multi-Tasking Support

 How can I add multitasking support to my apps.  I have a email program, and
while it is send emai(1 minute) the whole delphi app freezes until it's
finished, how can I have it multi-task so I can do other things while it
sends???

Re:Delphi has NO Multi-Tasking Support

Sounds like you need threads, pardner. (needs D2 or D3, of course). Not a
trivial exercise, but like many things, probably easier in Delphi that it
might be elsewhere.

It's not that "Delphi has no Multi-Tasking Support", it's just that you
haven't taken advantage of the support it does have.

Another solution would to hand over the actual task of sending the mail to
some other agent process and let _it_ hang. This might be over-architected
though, and would require to to address such issues as decoupling the
interface of the server from the sending back-end (else you'll still hang
your application if you try to send a second mail message before the first
is finished. Since you'd probably do that with threads as well, you're
probably better off putting the thread in the original application.

Ryan Rife <rife2...@alpha.esper.com> wrote in article
<5unrk7$...@news.multipro.com>...

>  How can I add multitasking support to my apps.  I have a email program,
and
> while it is send emai(1 minute) the whole delphi app freezes until it's
> finished, how can I have it multi-task so I can do other things while it
> sends???

Re:Delphi has NO Multi-Tasking Support

 Jonas Gunnarsson          wWWWWw    mailto:
 Link?ping, Sweden          o  o    subject:
------------------------ooO-(__)-Ooo----------------------------------
Hi!

In Delphi 2 and 3 you can use the TTread class for your sending&
reciving code. In your main form you simply start the tread and
it runs by it self like it was a other program in windows.

In Delphi 1 you need to create two programs sending messages to
each other

Regards Jonas
.oooO  Jonas Gunnarsson     |   Tel: 46 (0)13-31 16 04         Oooo.
(   )  Box 6008             |   Fax: 46 (0)13-31 41 18         (   )
 \ (   S-580 06 Link?ping   |   e-mail: Jo...@milab.se          ) /
  \_)  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  (_/

Ryan Rife <rife2...@alpha.esper.com> skrev i inl?gg
<5unrk7$...@news.multipro.com>...

Ryan Rife wrote:

>  How can I add multitasking support to my apps.  I have a email program, and
> while it is send emai(1 minute) the whole delphi app freezes until it's
> finished, how can I have it multi-task so I can do other things while it
> sends???

Please refrain from using erroneous claims as your subject line,
especially since you're actually asking whether it can be done in your
message.

Re:Delphi has NO Multi-Tasking Support

 Delphi handles Multi threading quite nice. Very elegant.  WHat do you mean
not Multi-tasking support? Are you on {*word*110} ??

--
Gordon Hamm
Voice Data Systems Inc.

Dave <"davidn"@$NOSPAM$olis.net.au> wrote in article
<5utahg$cn...@loomi.telstra.net>...

Dave wrote:
> Ryan Rife wrote:

> >  How can I add multitasking support to my apps.  I have a email
> program, and
> > while it is send emai(1 minute) the whole delphi app freezes until
> it's
> > finished, how can I have it multi-task so I can do other things
> while it
> > sends???

> Please refrain from using erroneous claims as your subject line,
> especially since you're actually asking whether it can be done in your

> message.

  Doesn't everybody just love these bold "purveyors of truth" who behind
the shield of the internet criticize the world for every mistake.  Get a
life NoSpamDave.  Maybe English is a second language for this guy.

Concerning multi-tasking, technically Win95 doesn't do it, but you can
acheive reasonable sharing through the use of Threads.

--
E. D. Epperson   Ph   502 458 7110
Banquet Table// ICP Trading Fax  502 458 7503

E. D. Epperson Jr. wrote:

> Dave wrote:

> > Ryan Rife wrote:

> > >  How can I add multitasking support to my apps.  I have a email
> > program, and
> > > while it is send emai(1 minute) the whole delphi app freezes until
> > it's
> > > finished, how can I have it multi-task so I can do other things
> > while it
> > > sends???

> > Please refrain from using erroneous claims as your subject line,
> > especially since you're actually asking whether it can be done in your

> > message.

>   Doesn't everybody just love these bold "purveyors of truth" who behind
> the shield of the internet criticize the world for every mistake.  Get a
> life NoSpamDave.  Maybe English is a second language for this guy.

<snip>

Gee, I guess you could say you're hiding behind the shield of the
internet with your reply.

Remove the spam stopper from my e-mail address and you get me. Reply to
this article and you get me. I'm not hiding from anything.

Even if the author of the article had poor english, I can't see how the
subject line could be interpreted in any other way.

Re:Delphi has NO Multi-Tasking Support

--------------196E6A877615BC4923A49A13

Dave wrote:
> Even if the author of the article had poor english, I can't see how the
> subject line could be interpreted in any other way.

 Perhaps he simply missed off the requisite question mark?

--

Martin Brooks - Systems Administrator
=====================================

  T: 0171 336 7942
  F: 0171 336 7943
  E: mar...@image-data.com
UIN: 2178117

- Computers make very fast, very accurate mistaks -

--------------196E6A877615BC4923A49A13

begin:          vcard
fn:             Martin  Brooks
n:              Brooks;Martin
org:            Image Data Systems (UK) Ltd
adr:            82-84 Clerkenwell Road;;;London;;EC1M 5RJ;UK
email;internet: mar...@image-data.com
title:          Systems Administrator
tel;work:       +44 (0) 171 336 7942
tel;fax:        +44 (0) 171 336 7943
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

--------------196E6A877615BC4923A49A13--

Re:Delphi has NO Multi-Tasking Support

Dave <"davidn"@$NOSPAM$olis.net.au> wrote in article
<5utahg$cn...@loomi.telstra.net>...

> Ryan Rife wrote:

> >  How can I add multitasking support to my apps.  I have a email
program, and
> > while it is send emai(1 minute) the whole delphi app freezes until it's
> > finished, how can I have it multi-task so I can do other things while
it
> > sends???

> Please refrain from using erroneous claims as your subject line,
> especially since you're actually asking whether it can be done in your
> message.

Have you tried using the application.processmessages within the loop that
is causing the wait ??

--
San...@Itl.net

In article <341314CC.FF3BC...@iglou.com>, "E. D. Epperson Jr." <e...@iglou.com> wrote:

>Concerning multi-tasking, technically Win95 doesn't do it, but you can
>acheive reasonable sharing through the use of Threads.

I'm curious why you say Win95 doesn't support multi-tasking as it appears you
are saying that you don't consider support for threads support for
multi-tasking.  Maybe I'm confused here, but isn't OS/2's support for
multi-tasking also through the use of threads?

Just wondering,

Gerald

Re:Delphi has NO Multi-Tasking Support

"E. D. Epperson Jr." <e...@iglou.com> wrote:

>Concerning multi-tasking, technically Win95 doesn't do it, but you can
>acheive reasonable sharing through the use of Threads.

This statement is just as bad as the original article title!  Win95 most
certainly DOES do pre-emptive multitasking of 32-bit applications.
Otherwise, threads would be sort of useless, wouldn't they?

Or perhaps you are confusing "multitasking" with "multiprocessing".

- Tim Roberts, t...@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Re:Delphi has NO Multi-Tasking Support

In article <34141C06.9CB59...@image-data.com>, Martin Brooks

<mar...@image-data.com> writes:
>Dave wrote:

>> Even if the author of the article had poor english, I can't see how the
>> subject line could be interpreted in any other way.

Are you qualified then to comment on the state of the author's english?
I didn't realise such a complex analysis was possible with so few words.

Then again perhaps it was just a futile attempt to justify the idiotic
complaint
in the first place.

> Perhaps he simply missed off the requisite question mark?

>--

Technically this article has a erroneous subject title as well since I've
not mentioned Delphi or Multi-Tasking.
Anyway if I wanted to be very picky, I could point out that technically,t
interpreted in a certain way the subject is correct, but I have better things
to do. (unlike some people)

steve.

Re:Delphi has NO Multi-Tasking Support

You cannot multi-task with only one computing engine, even if there were a
multi-tasking processor it would have more than one engine embedded in it.

Its just that the quickness of the registers deceives the user.

Now re-define your definition of _multi-tasking_ and start the discussion
again.

<g>

Alan Lloyd
alangll...@aol.com

alangll...@aol.com (AlanGLLoyd) wrote:
>You cannot multi-task with only one computing engine, even if there were a
>multi-tasking processor it would have more than one engine embedded in it.

>Its just that the quickness of the registers deceives the user.

>Now re-define your definition of _multi-tasking_ and start the discussion
>again.

Clearly we are arguing about semantics, but I maintain your definitions
disagree with accepted PC industry practice.

I define "multitasking" as the ability of a system to manage several things
at once, even if only one of those things is active at any instance in
time.  I multitask when I read a book and watch TV, even though at any
given time I can only do one or the other.  MS-DOS does not multitask at
all.  Win 3.x did a form of multitasking which Microsoft termed
"cooperative".  Win95 and WinNT perform "pre-emptive multitasking", which I
would call "true" multitasking.

I define "multiprocessing" as the ability of a system to manage several
things at once, and have more than one of those things be active at any
instance in time.  WinNT can do multiprocessing on appropriate hardware.
Win95 cannot.

My definition of "multitasking" certainly predates Windows and Microsoft.
The term was used this way even in my mainframe days; Control Data's 6000
and {*word*104} 170 mainframes did multitasking, even though only a few models
could do multiprocessing.

Wouldn't you agree than Unix on a uniprocessor machine is capable of
multitasking?

In article <3416dbd0.969813...@news.teleport.com>, t...@probo.com (Tim

Roberts) writes:
>I define "multitasking" as the ability of a system to manage several things
>at once, even if only one of those things is active at any instance in
>time.  I multitask when I read a book and watch TV, even though at any
>given time I can only do one or the other.  MS-DOS does not multitask at
>all.  Win 3.x did a form of multitasking which Microsoft termed
>"cooperative".  Win95 and WinNT perform "pre-emptive multitasking", which I
>would call "true" multitasking.

>I define "multiprocessing" as the ability of a system to manage several
>things at once, and have more than one of those things be active at any
>instance in time.  WinNT can do multiprocessing on appropriate hardware.
>Win95 cannot.

The latter paragraph points up the issue - what is _be active at any one
time_. I don,t think a single pricessor can. If you mean _be alternately
engaged in the consecutive elements of more than one task_ then what was
MSDOS doing when it acted on a serial port IRQ during other activity.

It really comes down to the level in the system at which you switch
between tasks, and what criteria you define for switching between tasks.

<Agreement on semantics is an essential pre-requisite to meaningful
communication>

Alan Lloyd
alangll...@aol.com

Go to page: [1] [2]