Delphi2 Standard with MS Access Databases

Hi,

how can I connect Delphi2 STANDARD to a MS Access (97 or 2000) database?
Is it possible at all?
Which BDE version is necessary?

Thank You!

H.G.

Re:Delphi2 Standard with MS Access Databases

In article <3b2b7186$1_2@dnews>, Harald Gloss wrote:
> how can I connect Delphi2 STANDARD to a MS Access (97 or 2000) database?

Check if you can create an BDE alias for an ODBC datasource, if so you
have a chance to connect to the database via ODBC and the BDE. If not you
still have the option of using the {*word*192} ODBC API. I'm not sure if an
import unit for that came with D2 standard, though.

Using ADO or MDAC may not be practical with D2 since it has no type
library import and the COM support in general was somewhat basic.

> Which BDE version is necessary?

You should be able to use the latest version you can download from
Borlands website.

You should really consider upgrading, D2 is not even certified to be Y2K
compatible. Since d6 is out now you may be able to get D5Pro (which is the
minimum you need) cheaper soon or find offerings on ebay.

Re:Delphi2 Standard with MS Access Databases

No version of Delphi Standard can use ODBC through the BDE.  The IDEs stop this
as it is a Pro feature only.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human.

Peter Below (TeamB) <100113.1...@compuXXserve.com> schrieb in im
Newsbeitrag: VA.000072da.009e7...@antispam.compuserve.com...

> In article <3b2b7186$1_2@dnews>, Harald Gloss wrote:
> > how can I connect Delphi2 STANDARD to a MS Access (97 or 2000) database?

> Check if you can create an BDE alias for an ODBC datasource, if so you
> have a chance to connect to the database via ODBC and the BDE. If not you
> still have the option of using the {*word*192} ODBC API. I'm not sure if an
> import unit for that came with D2 standard, though.

> Using ADO or MDAC may not be practical with D2 since it has no type
> library import and the COM support in general was somewhat basic.

> > Which BDE version is necessary?

> You should be able to use the latest version you can download from
> Borlands website.

> You should really consider upgrading, D2 is not even certified to be Y2K
> compatible. Since d6 is out now you may be able to get D5Pro (which is the
> minimum you need) cheaper soon or find offerings on ebay.

> No e-mail responses, please, unless explicitly requested!
> Note: I'm unable to visit the newsgroups every day at the moment,
> so be patient if you don't get a reply immediately.

Other Threads