Samba much slower with BDE?

Hi there.

I posted a similar question a few days ago, with no answer,
but I have learnt a little more since.

I have Samba 2.0.7 on a PII 400 machine. There are up to 6 Win98 machines
which will access this.
I have the shares set up ok, and users can access the samba shares with no
delay or problems.
My app (using delphi5 & paradox tables) slows down DRAMATICALLY
when using the samba share. I have checked out the samba groups, and quite a
few people
report significant slowdowns when using scenarios similar to mine, but a lot
of people state
that it can be set up, without the slow down.

Any ideas here? I write here because it appears that the slowdown only
occurs when the BDE
is being used.

The important settings I have learnt to maintain record locking are:
oplocks = false
locking = on
level2 oplocks = on

But when I test this (using sambas testparm) I receive a message telling
me that if oplocks are set to False, level2 oplocks must also be set to
false.

I'm pulling my hair out here, so any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards,
-Ryan