Help with BDE NET files

Help!!

I have a strange problem with an app that we are developing. The
description is long so bear with me.

I have the data base files in my D:\Public\Data directory, they are
all Pdox5 files. The other programmer is accessing my HD though Win95
and the P: directory mapped to the D:\Public directory on my system. I
have also mapped P: on my machine to point to my D:\Public directory
(I use NT4 WS). Both of us have an alias called CCA that points to
P:\Data

He has no problem accessing the data. When I open any table on :CCA: I
get an error "Unable to open table - Directory is controlled by other
NET file. File: P:\Data\PDOXUSRS.LCK Directory C:\" The interesting
thing is that I CAN open the table if I use D:\Public\Data but not if
I use P:\Data.

Can I configure my system to allow us both to point to P:\Data. I
guess my real question is, when I deploy this program, am I going to
run into a problem in a multi user environment or is it just because I
am working on the computer where the files are kept.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Claude Pitre
Cascade Custom Software Ltd.

Re:Help with BDE NET files

Claude,

You almost have everything set.  On the machine where the files are,
there should be a PDOXUsr.Net file (most likely) in the root
directory.  Each of you has to have the Network directory path (which
is supposed to identify the location of this file to the BDE) set to
the same thing.  There is a TI on this at Borland's site under the BDE
area.

You can set this path through the BDECFG utility or programmatically
in you code.  I do the programatic approach on an app I designed to
run on a remote machine because I don't know ahead of time how the
user will mount and assign drives.  I display a dlg box for him to
"connect" to one of his network drives.  Once I know what drive, I set
the Net directory.

The TI shows you how to do this in code.  It's just a single call.

david sampson

dsamp...@atlanta.com

Re:Help with BDE NET files

> I have the data base files in my D:\Public\Data directory, they are
> all Pdox5 files. The other programmer is accessing my HD though Win95
> and the P: directory mapped to the D:\Public directory on my system. I
> have also mapped P: on my machine to point to my D:\Public directory
> (I use NT4 WS). Both of us have an alias called CCA that points to
> P:\Data
> run into a problem in a multi user environment

Thats just the problem Im trying to find a solution for in our own
applications as we are really running into a problem ...

Obviously its more a problem of NT4 combined with Win95. Doing exactly the
same mapping on both computers has the same result. Using only Win95
machines works fine. Were using BDE 2.5 of Delphi 1.02.

Any ideas are appreciated. Ill tell you if we find out more.

Wolfram

> Can I configure my system to allow us both to point to P:\Data. I
> guess my real question is, when I deploy this program, am I going to
> run into a problem in a multi user environment or is it just because I
> am working on the computer where the files are kept.

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

> Claude Pitre
> Cascade Custom Software Ltd.

Other Threads