Choice of file format: DBase, Paradox, Access, ???

I'm a former Clipper programmer, who's been through the Visual BASIC thang
and finally wised up and got Delphi.

I've always gotten the feeling that DBase files were pretty sturdy as far
as getting corrupted, etc, and that they were the easiest to repair, etc.

I know nothing about Paradox, and know that MS Access is both expensive to
talk to properly (non-ODBC) and has its own repair problems.

===>> I'm wondering if there are any grave pitfalls that I should be aware
of before I go running happily back to my beloved dBase files?  What about
ease of indexxing, speed and SQL abilities?

I'm also not a terribly firm believer in the true value of SQL, for when I
was doing stuff in Clipper, most things happened darned fast compared to
this krud in SQL, and, life was MUCH simpler.  Should I pursue the simple
life of non-SQL, or is this nostalgic foolishness?

Thanks a heep if the flames aren't too deep,

-Jeff. :)

--------  University of Michigan Artificial Intelligence Laboratory  --------
 Jeff Kopmanis * Sr. Sys. Analyst * 1101 Beal Ave, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109-2110
     Phone: 313-763-9352 * URL: http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/kopmanis

Re:Choice of file format: DBase, Paradox, Access, ???

Jeff,

I work with SQL and desktop DBMSs everyday and my opinion is if the
dbms is not running on a server (unix,..), sql based, then use a
ttable and an isam database (dbase, paradox (my fav), foxpro, access).

Paradox usually wins for me, I hate dbase cause of it's poor indexes
and access/foxpro due to speed (even dao native is slowww).

my .02,

-bob

Jeff Kopmanis <kopma...@krusty.eecs.umich.edu> wrote:

:
[...]

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996 01:31:25 -0400, Jeff Kopmanis

<kopma...@krusty.eecs.umich.edu> wrote:

>I'm a former Clipper programmer, who's been through the Visual BASIC thang
>and finally wised up and got Delphi.

>I've always gotten the feeling that DBase files were pretty sturdy as far
>as getting corrupted, etc, and that they were the easiest to repair, etc.

>I know nothing about Paradox, and know that MS Access is both expensive to
>talk to properly (non-ODBC) and has its own repair problems.

>===>> I'm wondering if there are any grave pitfalls that I should be aware
>of before I go running happily back to my beloved dBase files?  What about
>ease of indexxing, speed and SQL abilities?

>I'm also not a terribly firm believer in the true value of SQL, for when I
>was doing stuff in Clipper, most things happened darned fast compared to
>this krud in SQL, and, life was MUCH simpler.  Should I pursue the simple
>life of non-SQL, or is this nostalgic foolishness?

>Thanks a heep if the flames aren't too deep,

>-Jeff. :)

>--------  University of Michigan Artificial Intelligence Laboratory  --------
> Jeff Kopmanis * Sr. Sys. Analyst * 1101 Beal Ave, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109-2110
>     Phone: 313-763-9352 * URL: http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/kopmanis

From my experience DBase tables are much stabler of the 3...if the
Acess tables goes you have potential of losing everything in one fell
swoop...Paradox tables seem to corrupt to easy on systems that
regularly go down with network crashes or gpfs...Though there is
another advantage of Paradox tables they have a form of encryption on
them...that will keep honest people honest...but won't keep out a
dedicated hacker...

if you want true protection look at SQL tables both in corruption and
security...but again the price goes up...because you must have a
license count for each user...

f...@alpha.c2.org

Re:Choice of file format: DBase, Paradox, Access, ???

In article
<Pine.SUN.3.93.960820012521.10820J-100...@krusty.eecs.umich.edu>, From
Jeff Kopmanis <kopma...@krusty.eecs.umich.edu>, the following was
written: > I know nothing about Paradox, and know that MS Access is both
 > expensive to talk to properly (non-ODBC) and has its own repair  >
problems. >

> ===>> I'm wondering if there are any grave pitfalls that I should be
> aware of before I go running happily back to my beloved dBase files?
> What about ease of indexxing, speed and SQL abilities?

> I'm also not a terribly firm believer in the true value of SQL, for
> when I was doing stuff in Clipper, most things happened darned fast
> compared to this krud in SQL, and, life was MUCH simpler.  Should I
> pursue the simple life of non-SQL, or is this nostalgic foolishness?

No problem with Dbase and Delphi and SQL works fine as well.  You will
not find SQL stuff as fast as native Foxpro but for most apps it is OK.
Speed is in the eyes of the beholder and plus Delphi speed is
incredible.  I would vote for Paradox if your not married to DBase.  The
case insensitive indexes(great for searching) and referential integrity
is a plus.

IMHO a must have for you is Infopower tools from Woll2Woll software.
Check out the free demo at http://www.woll2woll.com.  You can put
together some beautiful DB apps fast with these native Delphi
components!

God Bless,

Re:Choice of file format: DBase, Paradox, Access, ???

DAO native using OLE automation is slow, or DAO native using a true
compiler-bound interface la the one in Opus DirectAccess?

Peo
Opus Software GmbH

Bob Nees <b...@btsquared.com> wrote in article <3219506e.127721612@news>...

> Jeff,

> I work with SQL and desktop DBMSs everyday and my opinion is if the
> dbms is not running on a server (unix,..), sql based, then use a
> ttable and an isam database (dbase, paradox (my fav), foxpro, access).

> Paradox usually wins for me, I hate dbase cause of it's poor indexes
> and access/foxpro due to speed (even dao native is slowww).

> my .02,

Other Threads