Do I need Delphi 5 C/S to develop?

Do I need Delphi 5 Client/Server version to develop Client/Server
applications?  I've been trying to brush up on the version of Interbase that
comes with Delphi 5 Professional, but the things it refers to, evidently, I
don't have, so I'm not sure at all how to get started.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for bugging you guys about this, but I'm
completely dumb founded on how to get started with C/S programming.

Thanks,
-= Jesse =-
http://www.msdlg.com
http://www.davinci-mims.com

Re:Do I need Delphi 5 C/S to develop?

No you do not need C/S version to develop C/S DBs.  C/S has many additional
features that makes it easier to develop such apps such as native SQL Links for
many SQL backends (Interbase's SQL Links is included in Pro though), SQL Monitor
so you can see what is actually being passed back and forth to the backend for
tuning purposes, Desicion Cube technology, ClientDatasets which can effectively
replace cached updates and be much cleaner to work with and other items.

C/S also comes with a 5 user server license for Interbase.  With Pro while you
do get InterBase you get only a 2 user LIB license which means you can't test
you app from a remote machine.  In C/S work a lot of tuning tends to be related
to network traffic (with DB's like pDox you have to bring all the data locally
wether you are using TTables or TQueries so you can't do much to tune your
network traffic) so it is nice to actually develop with the Server on a
different machine than the client which the LIB license does not allow you to
do.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)   On waves of silver I dreamed of gold
(Please do not email    'Till I lost the peace that dreaming gives

Other Threads