Maximum number of BDE connections

What is the maximum number of open simultaneous BDE connections?

We have two Delphi applications running on our NT 4.0 workstation that use
BDE. One maintains a permanent connection to Paradox tables via the BDE and
another is executed each our, connects to Oracle, updates some data and
then exits.

After about one week we receive the BDE error: 'Unable to initialise BDE'.
Our conclusions are that some type of BDE 'handle' isn't being released
when the second application shuts down each hour.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?
What BDE call can I make that will tell me how many open connections exist?
Does Delphi automatically free up BDE resources when exiting?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Trevor Attema