Search won't work - Why? #2

It seems that Delphi will not search based on an index composed of more
than one field.

My situation is this:
        dBASE IV file named TAXMAP.DBF (~20Mb), contains all land parcels
(~58,000) in our county
        Multiple index file TAXMAP.MDX, with two TAGS
        TAXNAME tag created by INDEX ON LNAME+FNAME TAG TAXNAME
        PARCEL_NO tag created by INDEX ON PARCEL_NO+PARNO TAG PARCEL_NO

I have a working dBASE app which prompts the user for a last name, then
goes to the first record with this last name (there can be many parcels
with the same last name):
        PARLN=SPAC(20)
        @ row(),col() Say 'Enter Last Name:' GET PARLN PICT '@!'
        READ
        PARLN=TRIM(LNAME)
        SEEK PARLN
        IF .NOT. EOF()
                SET FORM TO TAXMAP
                EDIT
                SET FORM TO
        ELSE
                && Display NOT FOUND message and loop...
        ENDI

I want to move this dBASE app, plus DOZENS of others that are used on a
daily basis on our dept., to a Windows app using Delphi.

Delphi complains with this setup with 'Project TAXMAP.exe raised exception
class EDatabase Error with message 'Cannot use array of Field values with
Expression Indices.''

I created a new dBASE IV index tag - INDEX ON LNAME TAG TAXLNAME - and set
Taxlname as the IndexName property of TTable Taxmap.dbf instead of Taxname.
 This works, but is not what I want, because the grid displays based on
last name only, not first name, too.

So SMITH, ANDREW would come after SMITH, PAUL if that were the natural
order in the table.  This is not acceptable.  Plus it increases the .MDX
file size from 8Mb to 11+Mb.

Isn't there a way for Delphi to use a dBASE index that contains more than
one field in its definition?  Most all of my NDXs and MDXs are this way!

Don