Which Oracle ODBC driver?

I'm using C++Builder 4 to access a Oracle 8.0 database. I was wondering
if there was a preference of ODBC drivers to use? Should I use
Microsoft's oracle ODBC driver or should I use Oracle's?  Any ideas?

David Robison

Re:Which Oracle ODBC driver?

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:56:48 -0400, "David R. Robison"

<CMCori...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>I'm using C++Builder 4 to access a Oracle 8.0 database. I was wondering
>if there was a preference of ODBC drivers to use? Should I use
>Microsoft's oracle ODBC driver or should I use Oracle's?  Any ideas?

I guess the answer would depend on what you are trying to do...  Both MS
and Oracle have bugs in their ODBC driver implementations.  So far I have
not found any bugs which both drivers have,  which has been lucky for me,
as I can then use the one which works to get around a bug in the other...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam

Re:Which Oracle ODBC driver?

I have experimented with both Drivers. I Prefere the MS Driver.
Please check for the recent version of it.

Thierry.Vandenber...@unilin.com

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB) <JersW...@wwa.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
hbbsnssibefe2jn0dfdc3l8hvgdhn9d...@4ax.com...

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:56:48 -0400, "David R. Robison"
> <CMCori...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >I'm using C++Builder 4 to access a Oracle 8.0 database. I was wondering
> >if there was a preference of ODBC drivers to use? Should I use
> >Microsoft's oracle ODBC driver or should I use Oracle's?  Any ideas?

> I guess the answer would depend on what you are trying to do...  Both MS
> and Oracle have bugs in their ODBC driver implementations.  So far I have
> not found any bugs which both drivers have,  which has been lucky for me,
> as I can then use the one which works to get around a bug in the other...

> Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
> --
> http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
> Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam
> filters will probably just delete it anyway <g>)

Re:Which Oracle ODBC driver?

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:36:17 +0200, "Thierry Vandenberghe"

<thierry.vandenber...@unilin.com> wrote:
>I have experimented with both Drivers. I Prefere the MS Driver.
>Please check for the recent version of it.

Your preferences are fine,  but when I encounter a bug in that driver which
is not in the Oracle implementation,  I will use the Oracle provided driver
in order to get my project completed...

As I have stated earlier,  both sets of drivers (Oracle and MS provided)
have their own bugs,  and can cause them to be unusable if you need that
feature...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam
filters will probably just delete it anyway <g>)

Other Threads