AutoInc Field / Paradox 5 Rebuild

When using an AutoInc field in a Paradox 5 table (primary index is on it), and
using Paradox 5's "Rebuild Table" utility or calls to TUTILITY.DLL, the
AutoInc field is regenerated!! This does not happen (as indeed it
should not) when using Paradox 7's utility. Is this a known bug ? Is there a
patch / workaround? This has caused many of my tables to scramble their
information due to my relying on this field being unchanged.

Any info appreciated
Andrew Venmore
brill...@iafrica.com

Re:AutoInc Field / Paradox 5 Rebuild

You can consider it a design flaw or a known bug. Paradox 5 table rebuilds
trash autoincrement fields.
A better way is to use a counter field in a separate table, which is
updated whenever a new record is added. Remember to lock the record,
before reading it.
The DbiCurrRecord or some other such routine does that. This is important
in a multiuser environment

Re:AutoInc Field / Paradox 5 Rebuild

>When using an AutoInc field in a Paradox 5 table (primary index is on it), and
>using Paradox 5's "Rebuild Table" utility or calls to TUTILITY.DLL, the
>AutoInc field is regenerated!! This does not happen (as indeed it
>should not) when using Paradox 7's utility. Is this a known bug ? Is there a
>patch / workaround? This has caused many of my tables to scramble their
>information due to my relying on this field being unchanged.

        This is a long known limitation of the rebuild feature. I am glad to see it has
een changed in P7.

_
NOTE: This software is currently in early alpha. If you notice any
problems, or RFC non-compliance, please report it to p...@pobox.com
Please do not report duplicates, as this is usually a manual resend
|Chad Z. Hower  -  phoe...@pobox.com                         |
|Phoenix Business Enterprises - p...@pobox.com - www.pbe.com  |
|Physically in Church Hill, TN - Logically Not Sure          |

>>SQUID - The ultimate 32 bit offline databasing reader

**Special Compile: 3.000A (Alpha)

Other Threads