Paradox Delphi Novell Win 95 Cache

Help!

I use .edit then change the data by writing to the field.value then do a
.post and even close the database. When I go to that record again and use
value to see whats in there I get the new stuff - all fine and dandy.

However if there's another machine looking at that data, even if they do
exactly the same thing - go and look at the record again after its been
changed, they still see the old data!!!!! If they close down and restart
the app they will now see the new data!

This is not much help when I'm using a record to store next transaction
number on a logging system because they never see the newly changed next
number unless they close app and restart!

Any help gratefully received before I go totally mad!

p.s. I've proved Novell (4) is writing to the disk but cant prove its not
reading because packet size is too small so it may be issueing a read but
I'm not seeing it in monitor.

--
Best regards
Neale Gray

Re:Paradox Delphi Novell Win 95 Cache

In article <01bbaf7f.24b3ef60$9cc081c2@graynet>, gray...@patrol.i-way.co.uk
says...

>Help!

>I use .edit then change the data by writing to the field.value then do a
>.post and even close the database. When I go to that record again and use
>value to see whats in there I get the new stuff - all fine and dandy.

>However if there's another machine looking at that data, even if they do
>exactly the same thing - go and look at the record again after its been
>changed, they still see the old data!!!!! If they close down and restart
>the app they will now see the new data!

>This is not much help when I'm using a record to store next transaction
>number on a logging system because they never see the newly changed next
>number unless they close app and restart!

>Any help gratefully received before I go totally mad!

>p.s. I've proved Novell (4) is writing to the disk but cant prove its not
>reading because packet size is too small so it may be issueing a read but
>I'm not seeing it in monitor.

>--
>Best regards
>Neale Gray
>gray...@patrol.i-way.co.uk

Hi Neale,

Well it's not in Novell. Just try and modify a Pdox table (add a field) with
Pdox 7.0 and try and see if Delphi 2.0 sees it when you use the field editor
add field function. No way! You have to close down PDox to be able to add the
field. Great job by Borland. I've tried to find a trick to flush the database,
but have not been able to get it to write the data to disc. Ever thought about
would could happen to your data when your PC crashes?
If anyone knows a trick, I'm waiting......

Greetings,

Martijn Lasthuizen.
Detexla

martijn Lasthuizen wrote:

> In article <01bbaf7f.24b3ef60$9cc081c2@graynet>, gray...@patrol.i-way.co.uk
> says...

> >Help!

> >I use .edit then change the data by writing to the field.value then do a
> >.post and even close the database. When I go to that record again and use
> >value to see whats in there I get the new stuff - all fine and dandy.

> >However if there's another machine looking at that data, even if they do
> >exactly the same thing - go and look at the record again after its been
> >changed, they still see the old data!!!!! If they close down and restart
> >the app they will now see the new data!

> >This is not much help when I'm using a record to store next transaction
> >number on a logging system because they never see the newly changed next
> >number unless they close app and restart!

> >Any help gratefully received before I go totally mad!

> >p.s. I've proved Novell (4) is writing to the disk but cant prove its not
> >reading because packet size is too small so it may be issueing a read but
> >I'm not seeing it in monitor.

> >--
> >Best regards
> >Neale Gray
> >gray...@patrol.i-way.co.uk

> Hi Neale,

> Well it's not in Novell. Just try and modify a Pdox table (add a field) with
> Pdox 7.0 and try and see if Delphi 2.0 sees it when you use the field editor
> add field function. No way! You have to close down PDox to be able to add the
> field. Great job by Borland. I've tried to find a trick to flush the database,
> but have not been able to get it to write the data to disc. Ever thought about
> would could happen to your data when your PC crashes?
> If anyone knows a trick, I'm waiting......

> Greetings,

> Martijn Lasthuizen.
> Detexla

OK, here's the trick, which you can use at least in Delphi:

1) after every TTable.Edit use TTable.Refresh - this will force read from disk, not
from local cache.

2) after every TTable.Post use DbiSaveChanges(TTable.Handle) - this will flush your
update to the disk.

As to Paradox - I haven't tried it, but if you close the table that should flush
the updates too.

HTH
Peter

Re:Paradox Delphi Novell Win 95 Cache

I'm kinda having a similar problem...
After code places table in edit mode,
user keys value into TDBEdit,
code issues a post, but data value goes to zero.
Using paradox 5 table, delphi 2.01, netware 4.1, and win95.
This did not start failing until we upgraded to netware 4.1.
If you figure anything out, please clue me in...
Thanks,
Dodd Eastham

Neale Gray <gray...@patrol.i-way.co.uk> wrote in article
<01bbaf7f.24b3ef60$9cc081c2@graynet>...

> Help!

> I use .edit then change the data by writing to the field.value then do a
> .post and even close the database. When I go to that record again and use
> value to see whats in there I get the new stuff - all fine and dandy.

> However if there's another machine looking at that data, even if they do
> exactly the same thing - go and look at the record again after its been
> changed, they still see the old data!!!!! If they close down and restart
> the app they will now see the new data!

> This is not much help when I'm using a record to store next transaction
> number on a logging system because they never see the newly changed next
> number unless they close app and restart!

> Any help gratefully received before I go totally mad!

> p.s. I've proved Novell (4) is writing to the disk but cant prove its not
> reading because packet size is too small so it may be issueing a read but
> I'm not seeing it in monitor.

> --
> Best regards
> Neale Gray