Problem using BDE with Interbase and linux (Samba)

I'm using an Interbase server and BDE running under windows.
Now I got a linux file server where I'd like to put the Interbase-.gdb file for backup reasons.
I used Samba to map a linux share to a windows drive, e.g. O:, and used this drive to store the .gdb-file.
I configured the SERVER directive in BDE using the server:pathtogdb-syntax.
(pc-1:O:\test\test.gdb, where pc-1 is the local (windows) computer, where the Interbase database is running on.
Drive O: is the mapped linux share.)

I get the error message that the connection could not be established.

I'm quite new to this, so it could be that I do not see the obvious solution.
Any hints/help would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance
Jrgen Joosten

Re:Problem using BDE with Interbase and linux (Samba)

In article <3c864582$1_2@dnews>, j...@comun.net says...

> I'm using an Interbase server and BDE running under windows.
> Now I got a linux file server where I'd like to put the Interbase-.gdb file for backup reasons.
> I used Samba to map a linux share to a windows drive, e.g. O:, and used this drive to store the .gdb-file.

Not needed, and you should not put a gdb file on a shared drive. You can
use gbak/services API to backup the database to where every you want
(almost).

> I configured the SERVER directive in BDE using the server:pathtogdb-syntax.
> (pc-1:O:\test\test.gdb, where pc-1 is the local (windows) computer, where the Interbase database is running on.
> Drive O: is the mapped linux share.)

> I get the error message that the connection could not be established.

The database files have to be on the same machine as the server, so
Install IB on your Linux box and use the connection string...

linuxservername:/usr/local/test/test.gdb

Re:Problem using BDE with Interbase and linux (Samba)

The database _must_ be on a local drive of the machine on which the
InterBase server is running.

--
Bill