Internal gds software consistency check (partner index description not found (175))

Does ower Datbase from Interbase 5.6 run as 6.01?
What I did:
1. Install Interbase on Linux Suse 7.1
2. Make a backup from the old Interbase 5.6 on Windows 2000
3. Copy Backupfile to Linux
4. Restore Database
5. Do a big update:
update umsaetze u set status=0
where u.status <=2
  and 2>= (select status from auszuege a where a.schluessel = u.auszug);

Update stops with Error.

Update works fine in IB5.6

What is wrong?

Thanks Christian

Re:Internal gds software consistency check (partner index description not found (175))

Have you made a a transportable backup?

--
Best Regards
Thomas Steinmaurer
"Christian Greif-Kettmann" <c...@fibunet.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Does ower Datbase from Interbase 5.6 run as 6.01?
> What I did:
> 1. Install Interbase on Linux Suse 7.1
> 2. Make a backup from the old Interbase 5.6 on Windows 2000
> 3. Copy Backupfile to Linux
> 4. Restore Database
> 5. Do a big update:
> update umsaetze u set status=0
> where u.status <=2
>   and 2>= (select status from auszuege a where a.schluessel = u.auszug);

> Update stops with Error.

> Update works fine in IB5.6

> What is wrong?

> Thanks Christian

Re:Internal gds software consistency check (partner index description not found (175))

> Have you made a a transportable backup?

Yes. I did.

And again I made

a validation from the database,

a second backup

and restored it.

This error came again.

In article <3b4ad3f8_2@dnews>, Christian Greif-Kettmann wrote:
> Does ower Datbase from Interbase 5.6 run as 6.01?
> What I did:
> 1. Install Interbase on Linux Suse 7.1
> 2. Make a backup from the old Interbase 5.6 on Windows 2000
> 3. Copy Backupfile to Linux
> 4. Restore Database
> 5. Do a big update:
> update umsaetze u set status=0
> where u.status <=2
>   and 2>= (select status from auszuege a where a.schluessel = u.auszug);

> Update stops with Error.

> Update works fine in IB5.6

> What is wrong?

Go to the InterBase Search Engine at http://www.mers.com/searchsite.html
and put in

"partner index description not found"  for the search text

On the second page of messages subjects, this one pops up from InterBase
tech support :

http://www.mers.com/MERLIST/MERS/IB/LIST/8004.HTML

What version of IB are you using 6.01 certified ?

Robert Schieck (TeamB)
MER Systems Inc.
Inprise/Borland/InterBase Search Engine
http://www.mers.com/searchsite.html

Re:Internal gds software consistency check (partner index description not found (175))

Tests took a wile.
Now I think the error was in the original backup file!
I assume some indices for foreign keys were defect.
So a second beackup and restore of the defect database did not help.
This error was not corrected by validation and backup and restore.

Why do I think so?

The hints you gave me send me to foreign keys.
To keep refential integrity
For example:
    constraint  con_Waehrungen_FK_LK_Laender foreign key (LK)references
Laender(Kennzeichen)
Interbase creates inices for both, the master-side and the detail-side to
speed its testwork. So interbase only has to have a look on the
this pair of indices to find out whether a record may be inserted in the
detail-table
(look to the index of the master-side) or a record in the mastertabel may be
deleted
or changed (look to the index of the client-side).

I made som other tests and noticed that some
sql-statements need a lot of time in IB 6, much more than
in the earlier Version. The reason was that the index of
the foreign keys was not used. The statements became fast
again, after I created an index for the column.

Will Interbase 6 not create indices for the detail-side?
This may be good in some circumstances. It saves RAM for
the index and costs time only if a masterrecord is changed or deleted.

I could not find a hint in newsgroups nor in documentation.

Now I tested the same a second time.
- I took a new backup from windows which is made ones a day,
- copied it to linux
- recoverd the database
- did the lengthy update => it works fine
- testes the speed of the selects => they are fast!

If this is true, then I will not be able to trust backups!

The defect bakup could be restored!
The new database could be validated, backuped and restored again
and the error still exists.

How can I be shure that a backup is good?

Sorry that I cannot give a copy of the backup, it contains
data of my customers.

Christian

> Go to the InterBase Search Engine at http://www.mers.com/searchsite.html
> and put in

> "partner index description not found"  for the search text

> On the second page of messages subjects, this one pops up from InterBase
> tech support :

> http://www.mers.com/MERLIST/MERS/IB/LIST/8004.HTML

> What version of IB are you using 6.01 certified ?
no.

> Robert Schieck (TeamB)
> MER Systems Inc.
> Inprise/Borland/InterBase Search Engine