Board index » delphi » General SQL Error - MS SQL Server 7.0 Win2K

General SQL Error - MS SQL Server 7.0 Win2K

I recently upgraded my main SQL Server from NT 4.0 running MS SQL Server 7.0
to Windows 2000 running MS SQL Server 7.0. Most clients run NT Workstation
with a large D5 app (which has up to 30 SQL connections at a time).

Many users now have intermittent connectivity problems with "General SQL
Error" occurring. It looks like a timeout, or bandwidth problem, possibly
something like we're hitting some network maximum for connections. It
definitely is related to load -- the number of users in running this
application. The same SQL Server runs my website with no apparent effect
(which uses Cold Fusion connecting through ODBC).

Does anyone know about problems related to the BDE, MS SQL Server 7.0, and
Windows 2000?

Paul Harker

 

Re:General SQL Error - MS SQL Server 7.0 Win2K


On Tue, 22 May 2001 08:17:44 -0700, "Paul Harker" <pa...@autobytel.com>
wrote:

Quote
>I recently upgraded my main SQL Server from NT 4.0 running MS SQL Server 7.0
>to Windows 2000 running MS SQL Server 7.0. Most clients run NT Workstation
>with a large D5 app (which has up to 30 SQL connections at a time).

>Many users now have intermittent connectivity problems with "General SQL
>Error" occurring. It looks like a timeout, or bandwidth problem, possibly
>something like we're hitting some network maximum for connections. It
>definitely is related to load -- the number of users in running this
>application. The same SQL Server runs my website with no apparent effect
>(which uses Cold Fusion connecting through ODBC).

I am not aware of any database issues,  but I have seen a few networking
issues,  which could possibly contribute to your dilemma.  When working
back and forth between Windows NT4 and Windows 2000,  I am seeing many
cases when the "passthrough authentication" fails,  leaving you to performs
manual authentication to the remote machine.

Your description of the problem seems to hint to me that this may be what
you are experiencing and some of your clients are actually failing to
authenticate to the resource,  and that is why they are getting these
errors.  If you are using "trusted host" authentication,  try changing that
to use "userid/password" validation and see if the problems lessen,  or go
away completely...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam
filters will probably just delete it anyway <g>)

Re:General SQL Error - MS SQL Server 7.0 Win2K


Thank you Jerry,

We use userid/password authentication exclusively at this time. There is an
article on Microsoft's site in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q254341
which suggests using the NTWDBLIB.DLL from SQL Server 6.5 (SP5a) as a
work-around.

The problem as described does include notes on newer versions trying to
perform an NT Authentication when none was requested. As of yet, we have
found no software-related solution. Changing the type of network hardware,
however, has proved positive results.

Additional comments appreciated,

Paul

"Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)" <JersW...@wwa.com> wrote in message
news:ln6mgt83mkdod94ston53h4j617jcn4ekr@4ax.com...

Quote
> On Tue, 22 May 2001 08:17:44 -0700, "Paul Harker" <pa...@autobytel.com>
> wrote:

> >I recently upgraded my main SQL Server from NT 4.0 running MS SQL Server
7.0
> >to Windows 2000 running MS SQL Server 7.0. Most clients run NT
Workstation
> >with a large D5 app (which has up to 30 SQL connections at a time).

> >Many users now have intermittent connectivity problems with "General SQL
> >Error" occurring. It looks like a timeout, or bandwidth problem, possibly
> >something like we're hitting some network maximum for connections. It
> >definitely is related to load -- the number of users in running this
> >application. The same SQL Server runs my website with no apparent effect
> >(which uses Cold Fusion connecting through ODBC).

> I am not aware of any database issues,  but I have seen a few networking
> issues,  which could possibly contribute to your dilemma.  When working
> back and forth between Windows NT4 and Windows 2000,  I am seeing many
> cases when the "passthrough authentication" fails,  leaving you to
performs
> manual authentication to the remote machine.

> Your description of the problem seems to hint to me that this may be what
> you are experiencing and some of your clients are actually failing to
> authenticate to the resource,  and that is why they are getting these
> errors.  If you are using "trusted host" authentication,  try changing
that
> to use "userid/password" validation and see if the problems lessen,  or go
> away completely...

> Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
> --
> http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
> Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam
> filters will probably just delete it anyway <g>)

Re:General SQL Error - MS SQL Server 7.0 Win2K


On Thu, 31 May 2001 09:05:21 -0700, "Paul Harker" <pa...@autobytel.com>
wrote:

Quote
>We use userid/password authentication exclusively at this time. There is an
>article on Microsoft's site in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q254341
>which suggests using the NTWDBLIB.DLL from SQL Server 6.5 (SP5a) as a
>work-around.

>The problem as described does include notes on newer versions trying to
>perform an NT Authentication when none was requested. As of yet, we have
>found no software-related solution. Changing the type of network hardware,
>however, has proved positive results.

OK,  to tax my fading memories of MS SQL Server authentication,  the
NTWDBLIB.DLL interface is the one which is used for "Named Pipes" network
protocol for the communications to the server.  SInce named pipes use
Windows Networking for authentication,  it would appear that this could be
a part of the cause.  Your experiences tend to support this by changing the
"netlib" to something else (like TCP/IP or IPX/SPX) the problem goes
away...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam
filters will probably just delete it anyway <g>)

Other Threads