Reading data from the parallel port (LPT)

How can I read data  and status from the parallel port (LPT1,LPT2)
and send data to this port.(System Win32)
I need it for reading data from a technical meassuring equipment
with a data output similar to a centronics-port.(20 years old)

Thanks for helping

Peter Horn.

Re:Reading data from the parallel port (LPT)

You need a port driver, since the win 32 os's prevent you from directly
accessing the ports.

I have found the following on the net:

####################
                        WinIo v1.2
    Direct Hardware Access Under Windows 9x/NT/2000
            Copyright 1998-2000 Yariv Kaplan
                http://www.internals.com

The WinIo library allows 32-bit Windows applications to directly
access I/O ports and physical memory. It bypasses Windows protection
mechanisms by using a combination of a kernel-mode device driver and
several low-level programming techniques.

Under Windows NT, the WinIo library can only be used by applications
that have administrative privileges. If the user is not logged on as
an administrator, the WinIo DLL is unable to install and activate the
WinIo driver. It is possible to overcome this limitation by installing
the driver once through an administrative account. In that case, however,
the ShutdownWinIo function must not be called before the application
is terminated, since this function removes the WinIo driver from the
system's registry.

// Svenne

Other Threads