What RAD Tool U recommand ?

We are looking into RAD tools for our Oracle db's.
I've inquired into the following: Borland's Delphi, PowerSoft's
PowerBuilder,
and Oracle's Developer 2000.
Does anyone out there can share their experience, pros and cons? Thanks.

David Chang
d...@mail.koos.com.tw

Re:What RAD Tool U recommand ?

Antony Mo wrote:
> We are looking into RAD tools for our Oracle db's.
> I've inquired into the following: Borland's Delphi, PowerSoft's
> PowerBuilder,
> and Oracle's Developer 2000.
> Does anyone out there can share their experience, pros and cons? Thanks.

> David Chang
> d...@mail.koos.com.tw

  Hmm, posting this into comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases, I guess you'll
get at least one or two people thinking "Delphi would do the trick"

Cos, you would be much better migrating you databases to a Paperbase? system
and access the data using FilingCabinet?.

adrian

Re:What RAD Tool U recommand ?

> We are looking into RAD tools for our Oracle db's.

I have no experience with PowerBuilder but I can tell you a few words
about Developer 2000 contra Delphi.

PROS:
Developer 2000 is a large, slow dinosaur, not user friendly enough,
harder to develop, harder to debug than delphi. The application always
needs a Developer 2000 runtime, cannot compile EXE. Developer 2000 is
much more resource hungry than Delphi. The user interface is a bit
strange, you have to make serious efforts to  comform to CUA standards.
Developer 2000 is closed while Delphi is open. You cannot easily
expand the existing capabilities of DEV2000 while you can do this
with Delphi.
There are much more Delphi programmers around there so you probably
can give more advices iN usenet.

CONS:
dev2000 is totally platform independent while Delphi is NOT. If you
plan to use your app in a mixed environment (WIN32, UNIX, VMS, IBM etc)
without recompilation, DEV2000 is your tool.
You can generate DEV 2000 code from Designer 2000 plan while you
cannot generate Delphi code. So if you use Designer 2000 for your
system design than DEV2000 is your natural tool.
Developer 2000's language is PL/SQL. It makes easy to move some
business logic code fragments from client side to server side and
vice versa. It is useful in tuning your app. In delphi you have to
rewrite the code to transform a client side event handler to a server
side stored procedure.
Developer 2000 has a great support. (Well, actually it costs MONEY)

That's it.

I propose you to use Delphi if:
 1. You are targeted only WIN32 or AS400 platform
 2. You don't use Designer 2000 to design your app.
 3. Your project is small or medium sized.
    ( less than 150 tables, less than 300 forms )

Also use Delphi if runtime performace is very important for you.

Otherwise use Developer2000.

Best: Andrew

Other Threads