Real mode > protected mode, BGI error :-(

I tried compiling a program I wrote for pascal for real mode (using
svga256.bgi) for protected mode with BP 7.0. It works when I compile for
real mode, but when I select protected mode as target and try run the
program I get BGI error 4. (something about error in device file)

Does anyone have a clue whats up?

Thanx,
 - David Joffe

Re:Real mode > protected mode, BGI error :-(

MR D JOFFE (s9500...@jupiter.up.ac.za) wrote:
: I tried compiling a program I wrote for pascal for real mode (using
: svga256.bgi) for protected mode with BP 7.0. It works when I compile for
: real mode, but when I select protected mode as target and try run the
: program I get BGI error 4. (something about error in device file)

I think, it happens because of svga256.bgi is an old-style driver and
doesn't suppot DPMI. Old-style BGI drivers are drivers designed for
work with TP versions prior to v7. BP7 introduced a new-style drivers
which header structure was changed for DPMI support.
I know only one BGI driver for svga 256 modes with DPMI support. This driver
is a part of svga333b.zip package written by
Ulrich von Bassevitz (u...@wushel.sunflower.sub.org)
Don't remember now where that package was found, but you can contact the author
and ask him.

Regards,
Sergey Levov (s...@riis.ru)

Other Threads