inspecting breakpoints BCC 5.02

hi,

i'm experiencing trouble inspecting the values of variabels when debugging
with the BCC 5.02's integrated de{*word*81}. The de{*word*81} tells me, on
inspection, that all my variabels are "Not an allowed type", which was not
noted by the compiler during compilation. It will probably be something very
basic, but i'm unfamiliair with the Borland compiler/IDE. Any help would be
appreciated.

thx

Re:inspecting breakpoints BCC 5.02

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:01:15 -0000, <new_u...@email.msn.com> wrote:
>The de{*word*81} tells me, on inspection, that all my variabels are "Not an allowed type"

Show us an example of such a variable, both as it exists in your source code
and how you are trying to inspect it. When you say "inspection", I assume
you're using the "Inspect object" de{*word*81} feature? Have you tried putting
a "Watch" on the variables?

--
Wayne A. King
(ba...@torfree.net, wayne.k...@ablelink.org,

Re:inspecting breakpoints BCC 5.02

Dear Wayne,

below is a snippet of the code in the module i wish to debug. I have used
the "inspect" de{*word*81} feature,
the "evaluate expression" feature and i have put watches, all with the same
result.
Note: the code compiles and executes the way it is expected to, i just
cannot watch or inspect the values of any of the variabels ('selstring' and
'text_value' in this case, but the same problem applies to all the variabels
in the module and all the globals used in the unit as well).
One thing that might be important: i dont have the problem in all of the
modules of the project, it is "local". Taking all things into account i
assume that it has something to do with my project settings (or the settings
of the module), but i cannot figure out which.

      char selstring[15],text_value[15];

      CBoxConcentration->GetSelString(selstring,14);
      EditConcentration->GetText(text_value,14);
      strcpy(oral_concentration->dlg_unit,selstring);
      if ( !strlen(text_value) )
        strcpy(text_value,"-1");
      oral_concentration->dlg_val=atof(text_value);

regards,

"Wayne A. King" <wak...@idirect.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:01:15 -0000, <new_u...@email.msn.com> wrote:

> >The de{*word*81} tells me, on inspection, that all my variabels are "Not an
allowed type"

> Show us an example of such a variable, both as it exists in your source
code
> and how you are trying to inspect it. When you say "inspection", I assume
> you're using the "Inspect object" de{*word*81} feature? Have you tried putting
> a "Watch" on the variables?

> --
> Wayne A. King
> (ba...@torfree.net, wayne.k...@ablelink.org,
>  wak...@idirect.com, Wayne_A_K...@compuserve.com)

Re:inspecting breakpoints BCC 5.02

Hi my name is Linda.  Honey pardon me for jumping in.  I have the same
problem. Lets say it put a break point in a class member function and the
de{*word*81} stops there.  When I try to inspect member data like an integer the
de{*word*81} tells me, on inspection that variable does not exists or something
to that effect.

class Test
{
    int flag;
*  void test()        break point here
   What is the value of the flag test

}

Any ideas ???   Linda

Re:inspecting breakpoints BCC 5.02

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:01:15 -0000, <new_u...@email.msn.com> wrote:
>i'm experiencing trouble inspecting the values of variabels when debugging

If you can inspect variables in some modules but not in others,
then maybe some weren't built with debugging enabled. When
setting the *global* debugging options, always do a Build All and
not just a Make. Also check the Local overrides for each module,
as the global options may be disabled locally.

--

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 16:51:23 -0600, "Linda Jones" <lindajo...@tasware.com>
wrote:

>When I try to inspect member data like an integer the
>de{*word*81} tells me, on inspection that variable does not exist

Since any number of instances of a class may be instantiated,
each with their own data members, try qualifying the data name
with the name of the specific object being examined. e.g. -

class Test
{
  public:
  int flag;

} ;

int main()
{
   Test test1;

}

Set Inspect (or Watch) to test1.flag

Also realize that you can't examine a data member until it has actually
been created during an object's construction.

--

Linda Jones wrote:

> Hi my name is Linda.  Honey pardon me for jumping in.  I have the same
> problem. Lets say it put a break point in a class member function and the
> de{*word*81} stops there.  When I try to inspect member data like an integer the
> de{*word*81} tells me, on inspection that variable does not exists or something
> to that effect.

> class Test
> {
>     int flag;
> *  void test()        break point here
>    What is the value of the flag test
> }

> Any ideas ???   Linda

If the code is really just
  {
  int flag;
  void test();
  }
then the compiler can optimize 'flag' out of existence.

Re:inspecting breakpoints BCC 5.02

hm..,
problem persisted, but i managed to finish the job and turn my back to BCC
5.02 for now,
thanks anyway.
bye

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:01:15 -0000, <new_u...@email.msn.com> wrote:

> >i'm experiencing trouble inspecting the values of variabels when
debugging

> If you can inspect variables in some modules but not in others,
> then maybe some weren't built with debugging enabled. When
> setting the *global* debugging options, always do a Build All and
> not just a Make. Also check the Local overrides for each module,
> as the global options may be disabled locally.

> --
> Wayne A. King
> (ba...@torfree.net, wayne.k...@ablelink.org,
>  wak...@idirect.com, Wayne_A_K...@compuserve.com)

Re:inspecting breakpoints BCC 5.02

 >i'm experiencing trouble inspecting the values of variabels when debugging >>

I have that same problem when using the C++ 5.5 Command Line Tools and Turbo De{*word*81}. The wierd thing that happens to me is that only part of a modules will allow me to put break points on it. All the symbols will show up if i load the exe into the 5.02 ide but not the Turbo De{*word*81}. So I don't use it. I want to.

Other Threads