Having a DOS 7.1 system with network support

I still use DOS for real time machine control applications.. I've
managed to get a simple DOS machine with built in NETBEUI and/or IPX/SPX
network support using just the files from Windows 98SE and without
requiring a full Windows install on the target system. Basically I
create a DOS 7.1 (Win98 DOS) bootable floppy that has the Win98 network
support and use it to transfer a system to some other machine. Windows
98 DOS turns out to be a actually a pretty reliable DOS, and even with
network drivers loaded, you still typically get 620K+ of free
conventional memory. If you're interested, the steps are described in

http://www.magma.ca/~psharris/dos7_1.txt.

Regards,

P. Scott Harris, P.Eng.
-- please remove the .MAPS from the return e-mail address if using it

Re:Having a DOS 7.1 system with network support

Hi

Thx alot this is a very useful text file.

victor

"P. Scott Harris" wrote:

> I still use DOS for real time machine control applications.. I've
> managed to get a simple DOS machine with built in NETBEUI and/or IPX/SPX
> network support using just the files from Windows 98SE and without
> requiring a full Windows install on the target system. Basically I
> create a DOS 7.1 (Win98 DOS) bootable floppy that has the Win98 network
> support and use it to transfer a system to some other machine. Windows
> 98 DOS turns out to be a actually a pretty reliable DOS, and even with
> network drivers loaded, you still typically get 620K+ of free
> conventional memory.

Think it would work on a 80286?  I would be using Win95 DOS, but it's
also 7.10 so I don't expect any problems there.

I feel a new project coming on...

Regards,
Steven Vandenbosch

Other Threads