Making an Internet connection over a LAN???

I need some guidance on connecting to the Internet from within an
application that uses a local area network(LAN).  Using the ActiveX HTTP
control provided with Delphi 3, I am able to establish a dial-up
networking connection to the Internet and can download HTML files, but
the ActiveX fails when attempting to detect an Internet connection over
a LAN.  (The HTTP ActiveX automatically initiates a dial-up networking
connection to the net.)

The problem is I don't know precisely how to connect directly to a LAN
using the ActiveX control or a native Delphi 3 HTTP control.  What API,
interface, or protocol should I be investigating?  Any suggestions of
books, web sites or components would be appreciated.

Much obliged.

--
Roger C. Spaeder <spae...@ix.netcom.com> {*word*269}ia

Re:Making an Internet connection over a LAN???

> The problem is I don't know precisely how to connect directly to a LAN
> using the ActiveX control or a native Delphi 3 HTTP control.  What API,
> interface, or protocol should I be investigating?  Any suggestions of
> books, web sites or components would be appreciated.

Roger,

I made an application called RasDial which can check for an existing
connection and if not found call the RAS API to make it.

I also made several internet components (native Delphi components, no
ActiveX), including a HTTP you can use to retrieve your documents. The
other protocols are also supported.

All that stuff is freeware with full source code, sample applications and
support at http://www.rtfm.be/fpiette/indexuk.htm

--

francois.pie...@ping.be

Other Threads