Delphi 4 Pro & client-server apps

Hey folks,

I have an app built using Delphi (I don't know what version) that needs
to interface with a Sybase database located on a server via a LAN using
ODBC.  The client machine can connect to the server just fine, and I can
query the data from the client using Sybase query tools.  My problem is
that I am currently using Delphi 4 Professional, and when I open this
app with it I get a cursor with the little "SQL" symbol under it, and it
just hangs there.  I get similar results when I try to view the database
under Database Explorer.  Is it necessary for me to upgrade to the
Client-Server or Enterprise editions of Delphi?  The descriptions I've
read say that you need one of those versions for remote server access,
but they also say that the professional version  provides full ODBC
connectivity.

Just trying to eliminate or confirm this compatibility issue......as you
may be able to tell, I've not that much experience with Delphi.  Any
help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Stephen
ssebe...@wtd.net

Re:Delphi 4 Pro & client-server apps

Hi !

If your existing app is 16-bit Delphi. it uses 16-bit ODBC. In that case,
you need to set up your 32-bit ODBC driver to access your server in the
D4-app. But - Sybase ODBC driver is not shipped with D4 pro (at least I
don't have it) - make sure it is installed (Control Panel | 32bit ODBC) !

Bjoerge

Stephen Sebesta skrev i meldingen <3706569F.4E5C3...@wtd.net>...

>Hey folks,

>I have an app built using Delphi (I don't know what version) that needs
>to interface with a Sybase database located on a server via a LAN using
>ODBC.  The client machine can connect to the server just fine, and I can
>query the data from the client using Sybase query tools.  My problem is
>that I am currently using Delphi 4 Professional, and when I open this
>app with it I get a cursor with the little "SQL" symbol under it, and it
>just hangs there.  I get similar results when I try to view the database
>under Database Explorer.  Is it necessary for me to upgrade to the
>Client-Server or Enterprise editions of Delphi?  The descriptions I've
>read say that you need one of those versions for remote server access,
>but they also say that the professional version  provides full ODBC
>connectivity.

>Just trying to eliminate or confirm this compatibility issue......as you
>may be able to tell, I've not that much experience with Delphi.  Any
>help is greatly appreciated!

>Thanks,

>Stephen
>ssebe...@wtd.net