Anyone know of a table containing first names?

I would like to constantly hash through some tables to set some defaults in
columns that were not enforced prior to some changes.

I would like to be able to query the first name column against a table that
holds a list of first names (of course not all names would be contained in
the list but could be added when not found) to distingush if the person is
male or female and set other columns values based on the gender.

Does anyone have or know of a source file that contains a list of names?  If
I had two tables one for each gender I would be as happy as man with a day
off. ;)

Thanks,

--
Reid Roman
Future Generation Software

Re:Anyone know of a table containing first names?

"Reid Roman" wrote

> [...] to distinguish if the person is male or female and
> set other columns values based on the gender.

IMHO, not feasible. Names may (Frank-male, Betsy-female) or may not (Jan,
Bobby, Pat, Jess) indicate gender, and those that do indicate gender will
often lead astray. Evelyn Waugh was male. So was Connie Mack.

I'd suspect that your table would be better than random accuracy, but not
accurate enough to avoid significant problems. If you need to know gender,
you have to ask. It's not something people appreciate wrong guesses about.

bobD

Re:Anyone know of a table containing first names?

Bob, I agree with most of what you're saying (and I've also
read every book Evelyn Waugh ever wrote), but if you
(Reid R., that is) have $600 US to throw around, you could
try Genderbase 100. I almost bought it for a project once;
they claim 95% accuracy or better.

Do a Google search on "Genderbase 100" -- it's not totally
clear who produces it, but I think it's Philix Technologies
(www.philix.com).

John H. Hedges

"Bob Dawson" <RBDaw...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> "Reid Roman" wrote
> > [...] to distinguish if the person is male or female and
> > set other columns values based on the gender.

> IMHO, not feasible. Names may (Frank-male, Betsy-female) or may not (Jan,
> Bobby, Pat, Jess) indicate gender, and those that do indicate gender will
> often lead astray. Evelyn Waugh was male. So was Connie Mack.

> I'd suspect that your table would be better than random accuracy, but not
> accurate enough to avoid significant problems. If you need to know gender,
> you have to ask. It's not something people appreciate wrong guesses about.

> bobD

Re:Anyone know of a table containing first names?

I can say this this response is quite possibly one of the funniest I have
had the opportunity to read.  ;)

Thank you for that ...

But on a serious not you are right, but if the names where not those that
could be ambiguous, it would serve some purpose.

--

"Reid Roman" <re...@fgsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> But on a serious not you are right, but if the names where not those that
> could be ambiguous, it would serve some purpose.

The problem still is:
You can never know if a certain name is ambiguous or not.
The real world is too complex for that kind of certainty.
--
Finn Tolderlund

Re:Anyone know of a table containing first names?

"Reid Roman" wrote

> [...] but if the names where not those that
> could be ambiguous, it would serve some purpose.

yes, to{*word*211}everyone off that it got wrong, with insignificant benefit to
those it got right. Your call.

bobD

Re:Anyone know of a table containing first names?

Reid,

  Are you sure you don't work here? :) Our users wanted a 'spell-check' for
an individuals first AND last name.  User's complaints (yes, they considered
it a bug that the 'system' allowed them to misspell a customer's name) went
all the way up to the CEO of the company (supervisors->managers->VPs->CEO).
Fortunately, that's where it stopped (if an employee cannot ask how to spell
a customer's name, they don't need to work here)

If you have any more 'Dilbert-moments', post them to the off-topic group.
I'd love to read them.

krf

"Reid Roman" <re...@fgsoft.com> wrote in message

> I can say this this response is quite possibly one of the funniest I have
> had the opportunity to read.  ;)

> Thank you for that ...

> But on a serious not you are right, but if the names where not those that
> could be ambiguous, it would serve some purpose.

> --
> Reid Roman
> Future Generation Software
> http://www.fgsoft.com

Re:Anyone know of a table containing first names?

"Reid Roman" <re...@fgsoft.com> wrote in message

> But on a serious not you are right, but if the names where not those that
> could be ambiguous, it would serve some purpose.

Even besides the gender problem such a database would end up being very
limited in actual benefit - there are far too many possible names (and you
cannot reasonably confine yourself to strictly "english" names either) and
there is no end to the different possible spellings of many names (even
worse in recent years as people deliberately invent new spellings for old
names just to be "different"). So except for the most basic names, they
would need to ask the customer for the correct spelling much of the time
anyway.

Failure to ask and confirm will *guarantee* wrong spellings. IOW such a
system would backfire - names would be misspelled *more* often because users
would blindly depend on the computer instead of checking with the customer.

Just one of infinite possibilities - is the customer's name spelled
"Joanne", "Jo-anne", "Jo-ann", or "Jo-Anne"?  I've seen all of these and
more, and proper capitalization is also important.