WIN9x clients and Linux server ?

Hi,

Just currently trialling the Open source Win 6.01 binaries, server and
client, and quite impressed with IB (importing our big Dbase file okay
and took 3 seconds to do a simple sql select and pump the rows for
viewing ).

We use mostly Win95, some Win98. Are we resticted to make the server a
WIN box, or can we have a mix,  Win9x clients and Linux server ?

Peter

Re:WIN9x clients and Linux server ?

Hello.

Yes. You can use IB on Linux for Win9x/NT/2K clients.  I have been
running IB 4 on RedHat 5.x/6.x for 2+ years. I am currently switching to
the Open Source 6.0 and Firebird.

HTH

- Lou

In article <3ae4cce9.6912...@207.105.83.65>, Peter Richards wrote:
> Hi,

> Just currently trialling the Open source Win 6.01 binaries, server and
> client, and quite impressed with IB (importing our big Dbase file okay
> and took 3 seconds to do a simple sql select and pump the rows for
> viewing ).

> We use mostly Win95, some Win98. Are we resticted to make the server a
> WIN box, or can we have a mix,  Win9x clients and Linux server ?

> Peter

Lets see... If you hit my web site (below) you come into a linux box and
get pages from it. If you then search using the search engine, you get
data from a Windows box<g>

Yes you can mix and match...

Windows client to any platform supported by InterBase
Windows server to any plattorm supported by InterBase.

You can potentially have problems if you take a 3.x client and try to
access a 6.x server....

Robert Schieck (TeamB)
MER Systems Inc.
Inprise/Borland/InterBase Search Engine
http://www.mers.com/searchsite.html

Re:WIN9x clients and Linux server ?

Hi Robert,

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:05:48 EDT, Robert Schieck <rschi...@mers.com>
wrote:

>In article <3ae4cce9.6912...@207.105.83.65>, Peter Richards wrote:
>> We use mostly Win95, some Win98. Are we resticted to make the server a
>> WIN box, or can we have a mix,  Win9x clients and Linux server ?

>Lets see... If you hit my web site (below) you come into a linux box and
>get pages from it. If you then search using the search engine, you get
>data from a Windows box<g>

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I meant Intranet, not CGI stuff,
using IB/Delphi for desktop applications, Client/server.

>Yes you can mix and match...

>Windows client to any platform supported by InterBase
>Windows server to any plattorm supported by InterBase.

>You can potentially have problems if you take a 3.x client and try to
>access a 6.x server....

Okay, thanks

Peter

Other Threads