Problems with Paradox tables on a network

Hi,

Im having a problem with Paradox tables on a peer-to-peer network. When I
run my application from the machine where is the executable file and then
run from another machine, I get the error "Directory is controlled by other
.NET file.". When I first run from a "client", I get the same error when try
to run from "server". But if I dont run from server, I can open my
application simultaneously from all other machines. I have installed this
same application in other networks and its the first time I get this error.
Im working with Delphi 4, BDE 5.01 and Paradox tables. Local Share is set
to True. I set NetFileDir programatically, all machines pointing to the same
place (the exe file directory). All machines work with Windows 95 or 98. For
testing, Ive deleted Pdoxusrs.net, Paradox.lck and Pdoxusrs.lck, but
nothing changed.

If someone can help me, please...

Thanks,
Edmundo

Re:Problems with Paradox tables on a network

Configure the BDE as described in TI2989 at
www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/ti_list.

Bill

--

Bill Todd - TeamB

Re:Problems with Paradox tables on a network

>Im having a problem with Paradox tables on a peer-to-peer network. When I
>run my application from the machine where is the executable file and then
>run from another machine, I get the error "Directory is controlled by other
>.NET file.". When I first run from a "client", I get the same error when try
>to run from "server". But if I dont run from server, I can open my
>application simultaneously from all other machines. I have installed this
>same application in other networks and its the first time I get this error.

The network control file location is set differently on the server than it is on
the work stations.  All users must use the same physical directory for the
network control file location.  And the Path must be the same except that the
drive letter can be different. for win95/98 machine you can use UNC.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Problems with Paradox tables on a network

Thank you, Brian. The path was really not the same for all the machines. The
work stations were mapped directly to the installation directory while the
server was mapped to C, so the aliases were different. Some things in my
code does not allow me to use UNC names, so the solution I found was to
create a virtual unit using the DOS command SUBST.

Edmundo

> The network control file location is set differently on the server than it
is on
> the work stations.  All users must use the same physical directory for the
> network control file location.  And the Path must be the same except that
the
> drive letter can be different. for win95/98 machine you can use UNC.

> --
> Brian Bushay (TeamB)
> Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Problems with Paradox tables on a network

>Some things in my
>code does not allow me to use UNC names, so the solution I found was to
>create a virtual unit using the DOS command SUBST.

you can have different drive letters as long as the rest of the path is the
same.
c:\net   and F:\net where F: is mapped to c:\

It is not a good idea to have the netfile dir in a root directory.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Problems with Paradox tables on a network

well, this is what Borland says. But our experience shows that even the
drive name must be the same - here comes SUBST. This is the only way we can
set up a peer-to-peer network with 16bit BDE.

w.

Brian Bushay TeamB <BBus...@Nmpls.com> wrote in message

> you can have different drive letters as long as the rest of the path is
the
> same.
> c:\net   and F:\net where F: is mapped to c:\

Other Threads