Board index » delphi » old pascal...new machine

old pascal...new machine

have gotten around the speed problem error (error 200) and am now getting an
error 101 when trying to access the com port.  any ideas?
 

Re:old pascal...new machine


You don't mention your Operating System.  If you have an NT based version of
Windoze (Win 2000 and possibly XP), it will have what is called a "Hardware
Abstraction Layer." This isolates the hardware and software from each other
making it impossible for a DOS program to access any ports directly.

"Kevin J Harris (charter)" wrote:

Quote
> have gotten around the speed problem error (error 200) and am now getting an
> error 101 when trying to access the com port.  any ideas?

--
Val Mehling
va...@earthlink.net

XRL (Extreme Racing League) Info
http://extremeracingleague.com/

http://home.earthlink.net/~valjm/
http://odin.prohosting.com/valmeh/

Re:old pascal...new machine


Quote
Valentine Mehling wrote:
> You don't mention your Operating System.  If you have an NT based version of
> Windoze (Win 2000 and possibly XP), it will have what is called a "Hardware
> Abstraction Layer." This isolates the hardware and software from each other
> making it impossible for a DOS program to access any ports directly.

It seems likely the cause.

The solution is: seek one of these drivers for NT/2K/XP that will allow
you access to selected ports. Tere exists at least one such "beast".
With this driver loaded you can give your app. access to port $2F8 or
whatever port your COM-Port is. But remember: it uses several ports
afaik, so give your app. the rights for a range of ports. Maybe one of
the serial-port gurus here can tell you which range it uses.

Greetings

Markus

Re:old pascal...new machine


Quote
"Markus Humm" <markus.h...@freenet.de> wrote in message...
> Valentine Mehling wrote:
> > You don't mention your Operating System.  If you have an NT based
version of
> > Windoze (Win 2000 and possibly XP), it will have what is called a
"Hardware
> > Abstraction Layer." This isolates the hardware and software from
each other
> > making it impossible for a DOS program to access any ports
directly.

> It seems likely the cause.

> The solution is: seek one of these drivers for NT/2K/XP that will
allow
> you access to selected ports. Tere exists at least one such "beast".
> With this driver loaded you can give your app. access to port $2F8
or
> whatever port your COM-Port is. But remember: it uses several ports
> afaik, so give your app. the rights for a range of ports. Maybe one
of
> the serial-port gurus here can tell you which range it uses.

...Or they could download a copy of Free Pascal if they wanted
something which had some Turbo Pascal support.

The good news about Free Pascal is that you can use it to produce
32Bit applications (if you have a beast which could do those sorts of
things!).

I'm not sure how it would perform under Windoze XP though. For memory
I download the Windoze version a while back, but I think it still
required DOS (I could easily be just as wrong though).

Regards,
Ross.

Other Threads