BDE restructure of Interbase Table

I do not seem to be able to restructure an Interbase table in the BDE. It
allows me to rename fields, but not change field types, insert fields or
delete fields.

What I am not doing?

Thanks for the help in advance ..

Chao

--
C.M. De Matos                         cdema...@icon.co.za
Terrasoft International cc

Re:BDE restructure of Interbase Table

cdematos wrote:

> I do not seem to be able to restructure an Interbase table in the BDE. It
> allows me to rename fields, but not change field types, insert fields or
> delete fields.

> What I am not doing?

Don't know how you are doing it in the BDE!?  The best way would be to
issue SQL statements to do it, eg.

ALTER TABLE FRED DROP FIELD1
ALTER TABLE FRED ADD NEWFIELDNAME CHAR(1)

You could do this is TQuery components.

Oliver Townshend
Sashalom Pty Limited

On 11 Nov 1996 21:18:06 GMT, "cdematos" <cdema...@icon.co.za> wrote:

>I do not seem to be able to restructure an Interbase table in the BDE. It
>allows me to rename fields, but not change field types, insert fields or
>delete fields.

>What I am not doing?

>Thanks for the help in advance ..

>Chao

>--
>C.M. De Matos                         cdema...@icon.co.za
>Terrasoft International cc
>PO BOX 1884
>Rivonia 2128 RZA

Sorry but according to my experience there's no way to change the type
of an existing field other than to create a new field of the desired
type and copy the contents of the old field into it.

By the way, I'm surprised that you can rename fields (are you using
Delphi 2.0 ?), since this shouldn't be possible, at least as soon as
there are some internal dependencies (such as references to that field
in triggers, stored procedures, indices etc.)

If I'm wrong or if anyone knows of a tool that lets you restructure an
existing Interbase database, please tell me. It would make my work a
lot easier.

Best Regards

Klaus

Other Threads