Associated files created by app

Hello!
  I developed an app that saves information to custom
format external files.
  Assuming I associate the file extension of these files
to my EXE, how do I assign an icon to these files so that
they appear in Explorer with the desired icon. Do I just import
the appropriate icon into the second icon ID in .RES?

  Any other tricks?

  Thanks,
  -Carl

Re:Associated files created by app

> Hello!

Hello ! please read routines I. and II. below:

>   I developed an app that saves information to custom
> format external files.
>   Assuming I associate the file extension of these files
> to my EXE,

I.) Did you do this by double clicking on that new file and when to open as
dialog comes you click on your program and tel it to allways use this
program to open this kind of file?

II.) Did you do this programmatically by creating registry entries? (ie : a
key .xxx where xxx is your
extention, with default value xxxfile, a key xxxfile with default value
'description', under the xxxfile a
key shell, under shell a key command with default value path\myprogram.exe
%1)?

>how do I assign an icon to these files so that
> they appear in Explorer with the desired icon.

I.) Explorer, choose view from the main menu, click on options, choose the
File Types tab, click the
extention you wish to edit, click edit, and somewhere there is the 'change
icon' option.

II.) Add a key defaulticon under the mentioned xxxfile key, with default
value the icon file you wish to use.

> Do I just import the appropriate icon into the second icon ID in .RES?

Don't know.

-dirk

Other Threads